Page 129 of 241 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 2401

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What assumption might that be?
    See 1272

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    To set the record straight I do not live in Milwaukee. My point was to let Alan know his assumption was not correct.
    Nothing you said shows his assumption is incorrect.

But we weren't talking about ballot drop boxes, we were talking about polling stations.

Although the story you link to doesn't say so, it would appear that it too is missing context. It would appear to be a complaint that the temporary/emergency measures put into place during covid lockdowns are no longer authorized. Considering the fact that in Georgia, as well as most other states, it's never been easier to vote considering generous early voting timelines and ease of absentee ballots, why is it necessary to maintain special considerations due to covid era lockdown and limited public gathering restrictions? All voting in Georgia ended a couple of hours ago so there's no reason to continue the Jim Crow 2 narrative any longer.

That is not true everywhere. Check out Milwaukee, WI where polling locations have been reduced ….

polling place consolidation reduced turnout by 8.6 percentage points, and
    Black turnout was especially depressed from these closures.
    To set the record straight I do not live in Milwaukee. My point was to let Alan know his assumption was not correct.
    What assumption might that be?
    See 1272
    Oh, I see now where your confusion lies. When I said "Considering the fact that in Georgia, as well as most other states, it's never been easier to vote considering generous early voting timelines and ease of absentee ballots...", you read that as "everywhere" and thought I "assumed" something not in evidence, then thought you proved me wrong by mentioning a non-contextualized claim from Wisconsin. I copied all the relevant posts so you could see your error.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I've been meaning to thank you JP for always letting me know what I think about one thing or another. I find it to be such a time saver.
    Perhaps I should end my posts with "thank JPeee!" And also, for the record, Paul Pelosi isn't a damn republican. If he was then 'maybe' it would be believable that he got clobbered by some mythical gay BF. But he didn't. He got clobbered by an asshole trumper. Only sad sack trumpers believe that he might have been clobbered by a gay BF. If you want to be one of those folks that believe stupid shit like that then go for it.

Oh, I see now where your confusion lies. When I said "Considering the fact that in Georgia, as well as most other states, it's never been easier to vote considering generous early voting timelines and ease of absentee ballots...", you read that as "everywhere" and thought I "assumed" something not in evidence, then thought you proved me wrong by mentioning a non-contextualized claim from Wisconsin. I copied all the relevant posts so you could see your error.
    I was not in error. You stated in most other states…. that is not necessarily true…WI and TX are prime examples of your error. People here in TX talk of having to sometimes drive for over an hour if they want to vote in person. That definitely is not easy. I have not (or will I) spend time looking up to give umpteen examples. If you choose to do so .. go ahead. These two I personally know to be relevant. In WI look up gerrymandering and you will find the extent of the problem there. republicans are trying to make it more difficult to vote wherever they can.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Perhaps I should end my posts with "thank JPeee!" And also, for the record, Paul Pelosi isn't a damn republican. If he was then 'maybe' it would be believable that he got clobbered by some mythical gay BF. But he didn't. He got clobbered by an asshole trumper. Only sad sack trumpers believe that he might have been clobbered by a gay BF. If you want to be one of those folks that believe stupid shit like that then go for it.
    I'm curious why you keep bringing this up with me, would you care to explain?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm curious why you keep bringing this up with me, would you care to explain?
    We have two dueling myths here. On the extreme right, we hear the gay lover story. On the looney left, we hear about a Trump acolyte energized by vile humors emanating from GOP political rhetoric.

The truth seems to be that a mentally disturbed Canadian here illegally acted in a mentally disturbed way. I don’t see how any amount of speech restraint will be enough to prevent episodes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    We have two dueling myths here. On the extreme right, we hear the gay lover story. On the looney left, we hear about a Trump acolyte energized by vile humors emanating from GOP political rhetoric.

The truth seems to be that a mentally disturbed Canadian here illegally acted in a mentally disturbed way. I don’t see how any amount of speech restraint will be enough to prevent episodes like this.
    I liked what Ben Shapiro had to say about this: basically, the media didn’t ask the questions they might have/ should’ve asked. In a vacuum, people make up their own (often stupid) stories of what happened. The incident happened in the way the police chief said it did, details not elaborated, end of discussion.

I see this all the time – the official source of information doesn’t put out the facts in a press release immediately because they have to ascertain what the facts really are. Or if they put out “just the fax ma’am in bare-bones format and the details are filled in by people so that they can understand it, so that it makes sense to them.

Meanwhile, people make things up. We saw that happen with the Michael Brown/Ferguson event many years ago in St. Louis. Despite multiple investigations by law enforcement and government agencies including the United States government, there was no “hands up don’t shoot “. There was no disrespecting of Michael Brown’s body in the fact gathering effort. There was no… any one mythological idea charged against police.

And as an aside, I have to say… Wait. Mr. Pelosi’s assailant was Canadian? I did not know that. I just googled it and it appears he was here illegally. Or rather I should say that rather than he is an illegal immigrant, he is an undocumented immigrant, although it’s likely his documentation shows he is here illegally.

Sometimes I wish we depended on the Pony Express and literal stump speeches in the town square for information to form our opinions. You and your neighbors could watch the town square debate and then go to the local pub to discuss. The "discussion" could still get rowdy after a couple of pints but at least it wouldn't spread a wildfire of misinformation spreading from sea to shining sea.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I liked what Ben Shapiro had to say about this: basically, the media didn’t ask the questions they might have/ should’ve asked. In a vacuum, people make up their own (often stupid) stories of what happened. The incident happened in the way the police chief said it did, details not elaborated, end of discussion.

I see this all the time – the official source of information doesn’t put out the facts in a press release immediately because they have to ascertain what the facts really are. Or if they put out “just the fax ma’am in bare-bones format and the details are filled in by people so that they can understand it, so that it makes sense to them.
    In this case, a lot of the information initially shared shaped the resultant narrative and it took days for officials to correct some of the invalid information initially shared. During the first day or so, all anyone knew was that Mr Pelosi referred to his assailant as 'a friend' to the 911 operator, a third person reportedly answered the door when the police arrived and the assailant was in his underwear. It made it sound more like a domestic dispute than an attempted kidnapping/assassination attempt.

So, a few folks began to speculate and it pissed off a few other folks who then began to throw shade at people who never made any comment or speculation on the subject, all in an effort to slam their perceived ideological rival due to, for some unknown reason, Trump. Weird!

Thread Information