Page 12 of 241 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, are you implying that all citizens of this country are disadvantaged and disenfranchised due to some sort of comparison to Austria or some other country? Or is it more granular than that?
    I would agree that Uvalde disenfranchised decent everyday people capable of seeing the implications for what they are. Disadvantaged? Go to any US urban area and look around you - if you are capable if grasping implications. And it's getting worse not just every year but every few months now.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I would agree that Uvalde disenfranchised decent everyday people capable of seeing the implications for what they are.
    What does this sentence mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, are you implying that all citizens of this country are disadvantaged and disenfranchised due to some sort of comparison to Austria or some other country? Or is it more granular than that?
    Access to health care - a basic human right in every other developed country and even some developing countries (Thailand is an example) very much disadvantages many US citizens. I may have health insurance now but I can not unsee what America has shown me on my way getting to this station in life. And I'm far too decent to ever be like I've got mine, go get yours - I will not co-sign the deficiencies of this citizenship that way. We ALL deserve better.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What does this sentence mean?
    After Uvalde and being proven that the right to bear arms is more important than those murdered children, how could anyone ever have warmth towards or loyalty to the United States ever again? Uvalde is proof that realistically, the US is not a developed country - at least not in terms of basic human rights. We all deserve BETTER.

Rob

... the right to bear arms is more important than those murdered children,
    Your analysis is deficient. You know this, but yes, it's a good sound bite.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Your analysis is deficient. You know this, but yes, it's a good sound bite.
    Ummmmm......when Australia had a mass shooting in the 90's, it's government moved swiftly to limit access to weapons. Human life is worth this in Australia. Human life is not worth this in the US - not even for innocent children. There is no unseeing this - Uvalde will for the remainder of my life block any attachment for me to the US. There is no excuse for this citizenship deficiency. None whatsoever.

Rob

I taped the hearings to watch later today. Have a feeling it will reveal (by sworn republicans) what a slimeball trump is. Tonight at 7pm central a recap will be on Rachel Maddow. Stephen Colbert will have something to say too, I am sure.

I thought I'd step in with a potential topic changing tidbit. Astrid calls me around every national election to make sure I don't vote Republican. I do find this annoying as I'd never do such a thing and I expect to be trusted as I've always kept this integrity intact.

When asked she said the following - You are disadvantaged and disenfranchised in that strange country. As if that were an explanation for not trusting my voting integrity! I'd never suspect them of voting OVP (Osterreichische Volkspartei) - The Austrian People's Party, what passes for Austrian Republicans.

I find it funky that even on a family level, there can be voting distrust/suspicion.

Rob
    This is all performative BS from the both of you.

Am I alone in wishing cousin Astrid a trip to the moon, as Ralph Kramden would say?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is all performative BS from the both of you.

Am I alone in wishing cousin Astrid a trip to the moon, as Ralph Kramden would say?
    IL, IL, IL.....When America behaves as if human life means nothing (Uvalde), persons with better citizenship - at least some of them - are going to call the United States out for what it really is. Consider it a well deserved price tag. Austria and Germany dealt with this after WW2....they've had their turn. Don't like it? Don't blindly a support the US after extremely telling incidents such as Uvalde.

About Astrid - she is entirely correct and within her rights in her call on America on this one. I find it utterly amazing that this passes by you. No need to send her off to the moon - someone like her needs some US national airspace to at least try to clue in a few Americans as to how the rest of the world sees this country. Hint: It's not very flattering.

This, to date anyway, is unlikely to happen in Austria. It's a more cohesive society overall and more help is available to those who need it - I'm thinking government checks to those facing legit struggles (and no shame surrounding this assistance) plus easier access to mental health help - and much more societal expectation(s) as to your behavior.

True Austria is no innocent nation. That said, since it's return to First World Status in the mid to late 70's, it's taken much better care of it's citizenry than America ever has. I have the emotional strength to not only face this but also to never in my lifetime unsee this. YMMV and that's cool - just don't expect persons with better citizenship to unsee something like Uvalde. It's not going to happen.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I am so embarrassed of Texas lately. They have gone certifiably nuts.
    I feel very sorry for the residents of Austin - they deserve to be part of a much better state than what Texas is showing itself to be. I can't unsee the latest from Texas, either. Not only the belief that the 2020 election was stolen but the GOP's stance in Texas that homosexuality is an "Abnormal Lifestyle Choice" - boy howdy I'd love an audience with these utter bufoons. They of course would not listen to a word I'd say so perhaps it's for the best that this won't happen. What an utter embarrassment even for a rapidly sliding country such as this.

I'm glad I saw Austin when I did. I could not enter Texas now.

Rob

Thread Information