Page 4 of 241 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It shocked me to learn that republicans weren’t actually prolife but were just pro fetus and then eff everyone once they squirt out of the womb. /snark
    How is society sustainable when you have an aging population collecting Social Security from fewer and fewer taxpayers and more and more of the young also collecting from social programs? Those of us working and not collecting are going to be crushed. It's already starting. No one subsidizes our food and they won't even suspend the gas tax.

If abortion is outlawed this will only intensify because all the babies aborted for economic reasons will be fed with WIC.

Meanwhile we could be creating good paying jobs to lift people out of power but idiots like my (Democratic) mayor are not using infrastructure bill funds. Instead he keeps adding to the city payroll.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I believe BOTH parties are scary when they go too far, and I do have some issues with the Democratic party believe it or not. But it is a much better fit for me than the Republican party. I just don't believe in normalizing profits over people to the degree Republicans do. I also don't believe in winner takes all but a few crumbs off the table - I'm just too humane for this line of thinking.

It turns out that the majority of US Police are Conservatives and with their many over the top illegal actions, this does not surprise me. Not at all. Rob

I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos of Russian prisoners of war in Ukraine and man in the street interviews of citizens in Russia. The common theme among them, repeated over and over, is "I don't pay attention to politics." Maybe it's because they're all afraid Putin will take offense and put them on his hit list, and they aren't really clueless herd animals, but the phenomenon is chilling to me.

For example, the relatives of prisoners often argue that Russia wouldn't attack civilians even as the prisoners describe seeing the carnage with their own eyes.

If you're interested, search for Volodymyr Zolkin on YouTube. His interviews give insight as to the state of the Russian military.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos of Russian prisoners of war in Ukraine and man in the street interviews of citizens in Russia. The common theme among them, repeated over and over, is "I don't pay attention to politics." Maybe it's because they're all afraid Putin will take offense and put them on his hit list, and they aren't really clueless herd animals, but the phenomenon is chilling to me.

For example, the relatives of prisoners often argue that Russia wouldn't attack civilians even as the prisoners describe seeing the carnage with their own eyes.

If you're interested, search for Volodymyr Zolkin on YouTube. His interviews give insight as to the state of the Russian military.
    I believe you and do not need to witness that horrific situation for myself. It’s all so completely shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I believe you and do not need to witness that horrific situation for myself. It’s all so completely shitty.
    Agreed 100 percent, IL. Rob

I think the Ukrainian situation demonstrates the limits of intimidation. At some point, the intimidator pushes things so far that compliance with his wishes simply becomes too painful or threatening.

After years of appeasement and hollowing out their military under Shroeder and Merkel, the Germans are waking up to their situation and taking action.

After years of studied neutrality, Finland and Sweden are looking to sign up with NATO, having finally concluded that the benefits of neutrality are outweighed by the risks of having a predatory neighbor.

And if the pain of living with the economic privation and casualties of a poorly executed war becomes high enough, both elites and the general Russian population may make the calculation that rising up will ultimately be less dangerous than continuing to submit. It’s happened before in many times and places.

And this shitty, shitty invasion--all the suffering of innocents on both sides--is brought to you by one murderous little autocrat who, amazingly, at least some Russians actually voted for. Autocracy is becoming increasingly appealing to the right, as witness the recent CPAC conference in Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think the Ukrainian situation demonstrates the limits of intimidation. At some point, the intimidator pushes things so far that compliance with his wishes simply becomes too painful or threatening.

After years of appeasement and hollowing out their military under Shroeder and Merkel, the Germans are waking up to their situation and taking action.

After years of studied neutrality, Finland and Sweden are looking to sign up with NATO, having finally concluded that the benefits of neutrality are outweighed by the risks of having a predatory neighbor.

And if the pain of living with the economic privation and casualties of a poorly executed war becomes high enough, both elites and the general Russian population may make the calculation that rising up will ultimately be less dangerous than continuing to submit. It’s happened before in many times and places.
    I fully agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And this shitty, shitty invasion--all the suffering of innocents on both sides--is brought to you by one murderous little autocrat who, amazingly, at least some Russians actually voted for. Autocracy is becoming increasingly appealing to the right, as witness the recent CPAC conference in Hungary.
    I really wish human beings could come up with some.form of basic governance that thwarts a Putin from being able to cause such carnage, such ruin, such destruction. I know the more patriotic of you will point to the US - to which I say January 6th, 2021. But at least this day was unsuccessful. I tremble to.think of the fallout had things worked differently. Had January 6th been successful - how far would DJT have gone - I would not have been surprised had there been an invasion of Mexico - or at least an attempt - based on his disdain for Mexico.

Long winded point - We are not quite as far away from this ourselves.....Beyond that, is there hope for a form of.governance that FULLY thwarts the ability of.one individual to do affect the entire planet?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I really wish human beings could come up with some.form of basic governance that thwarts a Putin from being able to cause such carnage, such ruin, such destruction. I know the more patriotic of you will point to the US - to which I say January 6th, 2021. But at least this day was unsuccessful. I tremble to.think of the fallout had things worked differently. Had January 6th been successful - how far would DJT have gone - I would not have been surprised had there been an invasion of Mexico - or at least an attempt - based on his disdain for Mexico.

Long winded point - We are not quite as far away from this ourselves.....Beyond that, is there hope for a form of.governance that FULLY thwarts the ability of.one individual to do affect the entire planet?

Rob
    People who feel the need to describe themselves as "patriots" are like Elon Musk characterizing himself as an "alpha." Laughable.

Thread Information