Page 240 of 241 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241 LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 2401

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    you know, I was going to mention this, but then it just makes me angry that I have to defend Trump. If the Jp’s of the world would be less strident in their ridiculous accusations of Trump, I would not be so conflicted.

it is all about me. Haha.

God knows there’s plenty to address about Donald J Trump and his inappropriate-ness to be President of the United States.

And you and I know that legacy media beating the “bloodbath “ narrative will be contributing to the election of Donald J Trump in November 2024. Same shit, different day.
    I agree with Alan and iris. But of course the ridiculousness of the media hyperbole, fear tactic and vitriol cuts both ways. The state of "journalism" today is very, very sad.

But if the "left of center" folks think that adding another transgression to Trump's long list of outrageousness is going to somehow make people say, "Oh!! I tolerated his mysogyny and lies and fraud, and racism and cruelty and impeachments and indictments, but THIS has changed my mind!"---well, it's not. It's important to instead, seek to understand WHY he is still up there in the polls, threatening the re-election of a much saner human being. Listen to the people who adore him, even though he really isn't worthy to shine their shoes. Liberals have to get off their high horse.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I find myself in violent agreement with the last few posts. In this distinctly unheroic time, too many people seem to want to spice up their lives by pretending they’re part of an existential struggle between good and evil. I think this, more than anything else, has driven our stupid and dishonest politics. I believe both major parties and their supporters in and out of the media are guilty of this.

Whoever wins in November, there is no plausible pathway to dictatorship. There will be a lot of overwrought rhetoric. There will be ongoing lawfare. There will be constitutionally dubious executive actions. But the folks looking for a civil war will be disappointed. Our wonderfully cynical founders have seen to that.

I was actually surprised the media or politicians took his bloodbath statement so far out of context. The first time I heard it, it didn't seem to leave much ambiguity. However, starting his rally with the J6 Prison Choir sort of shaded the direction his talk would take and he walked his rhetoric up to the edge within that context.

In the end, it probably changes nothing we didn't already know.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's why you should never trust your favorite news sources or online commentators. He was talking about the possibility of Chinese EV's flooding the US market creating an economic "bloodbath" for US manufacturers and auto workers.

Personally, I was very disappointed in the way virtually all US media reported this as if it were a literal call to arms and invitation to violence when it clearly was not. I've pointed out before and I'll mention again that this is the sort of blatant media and party manipulation that drives Trump's popularity among every day Americans. When he is elected in November, everyone participating in this sort of nonsense will be complicit.
    Weird that at best the media were like "not entirely sure what he meant since he was semi-incoherrant as usual..." and somehow you have certainty of what he was trying to say. Either way, a presidential candidate threatening a bloodbath of any sort if he doesn't get elected is effing chitty. But apparently that's the republican style these days because their voters lap it up with feverish delight. Much easier than actually presenting a policy platform which they haven't done since 2016 and undoubtedly won't do this time around either since they don't have one.

All the frantic, hysterical exegesis of Trump’s comment puzzles me.

If the truth is bad enough, why waste all that energy lying?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Weird that at best the media were like "not entirely sure what he meant since he was semi-incoherrant as usual..." and somehow you have certainty of what he was trying to say. Either way, a presidential candidate threatening a bloodbath of any sort if he doesn't get elected is effing chitty. But apparently that's the republican style these days because their voters lap it up with feverish delight. Much easier than actually presenting a policy platform which they haven't done since 2016 and undoubtedly won't do this time around either since they don't have one.
    President Joe Biden threatened “bloodbath” when he was trying to oust Bernie Sanders from the ticket. But I guess that’s OK because it’s a bloodbath among Democrats? I don’t know, that’s your call JP.

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-b...h-fury-1880181
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    President Joe Biden threatened “bloodbath” when he was trying to oust Bernie Sanders from the ticket. But I guess that’s OK because it’s a bloodbath among Democrats? I don’t know, that’s your call JP.

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-b...h-fury-1880181
    The fact that Trump was involved in an insurrection against the government and his unrelated comments hinting at some sort of violence, intimidation, or just outright harassment, like his former top general should be executed, might lead someone in the media to default to a different meaning than the way it seems to have been presented. Fact is that Trump rambles incoherently and leaves some things hanging at the edge of what is right or wrong.

Unlike Biden.
    Last edited by Rogar; 3-21-24 at 2:07pm.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

In other news, our GOP representative, Ken Buck, resigned this week. He has always been your run if the mill Tea Party conservative. His primary statement has been that he no longer wanted to be a part of a party that endorses "false narrative", with specific references to the big election lie and the J6 Terrorists as close to tourists or patriots. And also, runaway spending. I believe he has refused to endorse Trump and has been reserved about who he will vote for. He might have also gotten tired of the death threats after he refused to endorse Jim Jordan as speaker. The media has said this has reduced Boebert's re-elected chances in a way I've not quite connected the dots. Speaking of Boebert, you don't hear much about QAnon anymore?

Apparently due to the timing of the primary for the november election and the special election happening on the same day Boehbert would have to resign to run for the special election, whereas if she doesn't run in the special she can continue to serve her district while running in the primary. The thinking being that someone is unlikely to win the primary but not the special and vice versa.

I see that some congressdude from WI has also announced his upcoming resignation. Effective just after the deadline in WI law that requires a special election to fill his seat, so instead it will remain empty until January. That's about as much of a middle finger to the maga party as someone in his position can do.

And now MTG has brought a motion to vacate against speaker Johnson. The democrats appear to have two options. One, find a couple of republican congresspeople who are planning to retire and convince them to vote for a speaker Jeffries, or two, agree to stick with Johnson, but only with him agreeing to things like Ukraine aid.

It certainly is amusing to watch what happens when the majority party in the house's leadership is as incredibly weak as is currently the case.

Thread Information