Page 175 of 242 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2417

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

I'm not sure google is anybody's friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I'm not sure google is anybody's friend.
    Haha! But really I LOVE the Google machine. Jeez, the stuff you can find now instantaneously while sitting on your couch at home. You once had to trudge down to the library to open musty old books and deal with musty old librarians.

You can now even get academic research reported verbatim in academic journals. That stuff used to be subscription only. I confess to not knowing exactly how much Google accesses and how that body of information differs from the expensive databases supplied to citizens by public libraries, but egad it is still wonderful even if limited.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Haha! But really I LOVE the Google machine. Jeez, the stuff you can find now instantaneously while sitting on your couch at home. You once had to trudge down to the library to open musty old books and deal with musty old librarians.

You can now even get academic research reported verbatim in academic journals. That stuff used to be subscription only. I confess to not knowing exactly how much Google accesses and how that body of information differs from the expensive databases supplied to citizens by public libraries, but egad it is still wonderful even if limited.
    I'm with you. I get the Google Twitch all the time, at a moment's notice, if some question, with or without merit, pops into my head. Honestly, I have so much to criticize about modern technology, but I say this without exaggeration, I believe I am a better person because of the Internet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm with you. I get the Google Twitch all the time, at a moment's notice, if some question, with or without merit, pops into my head. Honestly, I have so much to criticize about modern technology, but I say this without exaggeration, I believe I am a better person because of the Internet.
    I used to have to simply remember things. Or remember which book in my library contained the thing.

This filled up a lot of brain space.

Now I just have to remember that a thing is a thing, and be able to construct a sufficiently-narrow search string to fetch up the information from The Planetary Overmind. It's sure increased productivity.

Speaking of Planetary Overminds, I think it’s interesting how programs like ChatGPT answer questions with replies that often reflect the biases, misconceptions and prejudices of a sort of rough internet consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Speaking of Planetary Overminds, I think it’s interesting how programs like ChatGPT answer questions with replies that often reflect the biases, misconceptions and prejudices of a sort of rough internet consensus.
    So, we typically like to keep children off the Internet until they develop critical thinking skills.

ChatGPT was *trained* on the Internet, from birth, so it's not surprising that it, and other similar AIs, behave the way they do....

(See also the "Terminator" franchise.)

All that effort and investment, and we just get lectured by a know-it-all adolescent?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    All that effort and investment, and we just get lectured by a know-it-all adolescent?
    The thing is, it's improving at a rate that is hard to comprehend. The version that went to beta this week is *vastly* more powerful than the version of a month ago. And it's still an infant.

Exponential processes are difficult to have an intuition for.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The thing is, it's improving at a rate that is hard to comprehend. The version that went to beta this week is *vastly* more powerful than the version of a month ago. And it's still an infant.

Exponential processes are difficult to have an intuition for.
    Yes, and then we’ll be ruled by a know-it-all adolescent.

I’d like to offer my thoughts and prayers to Ron desantis. It appears that his efforts to use the state’s powers to punish Disney for having the nerve to exercise their first amendment rights haven’t worked out so well. It must suck to be outsmarted by Mickey Mouse.

Thread Information