Page 126 of 241 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 2401

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Many, many years ago, we had reasonable Republicans, and I regularly voted for them. Those days are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    When I voted in person, there were rarely more than a few people in line ahead of me. But I've never lived in a poor or targeted area. It's not hard to find video reports of voters forced to wait for hours in voting lines because Republicans have closed many traditional polling places, which is a national disgrace.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VV09J

From the article: "The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights found www.democracydiverted.org that states with a history of racial discrimination have shuttered hundreds of voting locations since the court ruled that they did not need federal approval to change their laws. The report did not have comparisons with polling places in other regions.

The report comes as Republican-led states impose a range of other restrictions, from shorter voting hours to photo-ID requirements. As turnout has surged in recent elections, voters in cities like Phoenix, Arizona and Atlanta, Georgia, have endured hours-long waits to cast their ballots."
    And as a part of the lazy journalism of this article, it ignores significant factors. For instance, Arizona has instigated in recent years voting by mail where anybody can request a ballot. They also support early voting. That reduces the number of traditional voting places needed on election day.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Things would be better if people voted for the best candidates and not a party. I have voted for republicans. We have had some very good republican governors here.
    Read above WHY tHis is not a good idea in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    DH had unexpected surgery for appendicitis this morning. He had a small complication and so he will not be discharged today. He will not be able to vote! I will go in later today to vote though.
    Goodness. I hope he's ok and has a speedy recovery.

Yes, IL hope DH is doing well!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Nice picture, Alan! DH and I will be going soon to town hall to cancel each other's votes out.
    Do you go together? My parents always went to vote individually. I'd noticed it but didn't really think about it much until after I was an adult and they were still doing it so I asked why. Mom told the story of when they went to vote together as newlyweds in the mid 50's. Dad went first. Then mom stated her name and the poll worker tried to find her in the democratic listing, so mom said "I'm registered republican". To which the poll worker responded by shouting to my dad (now in the voting booth) "Whatsa matter!? You can't keep her in line??? har har har" Even though that had been 40 years earlier, when Mom told that story she became angry remembering how she had wanted to punch that woman at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Wouldn’t think of calling you a liar bae, but I will gently suggest that you are likely just wrong about Democrats setting up “safe “seats.

If I’ve learned one thing from this forum it is that Republicans only do “gerrymandering. “ Whenever Democrats redraw voting districts it is ALWAYS a fair and balanced outcome.
    I can't speak for other states but the largest blue state in the nation has a nonpartisan redistricting commission. I'm fine with that and wish every state had one because I'm not in favor of gerrymandering regardless of who it benefits. California democrats can do just fine without having their thumbs on the scale, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    In my state, polling places and their locations are the responsibility of the city or county in which voting takes place. Are Republicans in charge of polling stations in Phoenix and Atlanta?

Also, when it says that Republican led states are imposing restrictions, does that mean they want to roll back Covid related relaxations or something else? The quotations above seem to be lacking context in favor of a narrative.
    In Georgia ballot drop boxes are limited by state law, as is the ability to vote absentee. Those are not controlled by the county.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/27/11124...rop-box-access

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    But there is a piece on the CNN website where Kevin McCarthy outlines what his priorities will be when he becomes House Speaker. None of it should come as a surprise to anyone. Controlling the border, expanding energy production, possible some House hearings on Covid, Afghanistan, DOJ issues, etc., continued support to Ukraine and other such things. You’ll need to wait for specific bills to try and pick apart, but don’t worry. They’re coming.
    Did he start with his list with his desire to hit Nancy Pelosi on the head with the speaker's gavel as his first act as speaker if the country is unfortunate enough to have that happen? He's even classier than people that vote for coup participants.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    In Georgia ballot drop boxes are limited by state law, as is the ability to vote absentee. Those are not controlled by the county.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/27/11124...rop-box-access
    But we weren't talking about ballot drop boxes, we were talking about polling stations.

Although the story you link to doesn't say so, it would appear that it too is missing context. It would appear to be a complaint that the temporary/emergency measures put into place during covid lockdowns are no longer authorized. Considering the fact that in Georgia, as well as most other states, it's never been easier to vote considering generous early voting timelines and ease of absentee ballots, why is it necessary to maintain special considerations due to covid era lockdown and limited public gathering restrictions? All voting in Georgia ended a couple of hours ago so there's no reason to continue the Jim Crow 2 narrative any longer.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information