Page 238 of 241 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 2401

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't know much about him. I'd rather make a statement against Trump than against Biden.

BTW, speaking of politicians, has Jeppy left the forum? I saw she asked to be removed and I see she's no longer in the membership list--am I reading it right? I know she had some controversial views, but I enjoyed many of her posts. If she really is gone, I'm bummed.
    Jeppy is gone.

my state was an open primary state until 2022. I just read the rules from the Democratic Party of Missouri, and they will allow anyone to vote in their primary, unless you are a registered Republican:

• Voters registered by February 21, 2024,with the Missouri Secretary of State’s office will be eligible to vote in the Missouri Democratic presidential preference primary election, so long the voter is not registered as a Republican.
    I am not a serious person.

I'm torn about voting for Nikki Haley as a way of shrinking the Trump stats. It's a foregone conclusion that he will be the nominee, and a friend I respect says it's a loss of integrity to declare that "my Party preference is the Republican Party" when in fact it is not. I suppose if our votes for Haley could really change the results, I would have a stronger argument for lying.

I may choose to vote for Marianne Williamson. I'm angry with Biden for his failure to endorse a UN vote for an immediate cease fire in Gaza. Even if one doesn't view this as a moral issue, Biden lost 100K votes in the Michigan primary. If that happens in the general, he'll likely lose Michigan and get that much closer to handing the country to Trump.

I am getting a perverse pleasure this morning thinking about you all signing a loyalty oath to the Republican Party.

i sincerely would have voted in the Democratic Party primary for Dean Phillips because I will be voting for the Democratic candidate in November and I want anyone but Biden on the ticket.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I can think of a good reason many would not want to vote Republican. Assuming DJT assumes the role of the GOP candidate - a vote for Donald Trump is a vote to split up the United States faster. Though I personally am all for this country splitting up - many are not. I would politely advise to think of the longer term consequences of your vote.

If unlike me, you don't want this country split up, don't vote GOP - especially if DJT is the candidate. After January 6th, 2021, I no longer believe the United States has the social cohesion required - not even the basic minimum amount - to remain intact over the long haul. That day was a wakeup call to me. I don't claim to read the future - but the required social cohesion for the United States to remain intact no longer exists. Personally, I don't find this to be such a bad thing - but the lack of social cohesion begs, literally begs, for a period of intense turmoil. This I don't look forward to and I place the blame exactly where it belongs - with the GOP and the upper level of elites.

Regardless, I am 57 years old. I believe I will live to see this country split up. This faith, along with my husband and religious beliefs I hold - are what keep me going these days. That and the fact that I am banking cash from my job, which is going quite well thus far. And I'm getting too verbose.

The main point? After 01/06/2021 I'd rethink any vote for the GOP - unless like me you wish this country to split apart. This choice is yours as an adult. Choose well as per your future wishes for this country, whatever they may be - even if they are a 180 from mine. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am getting a perverse pleasure this morning thinking about you all signing a loyalty oath to the Republican Party.

i sincerely would have voted in the Democratic Party primary for Dean Phillips because I will be voting for the Democratic candidate in November and I want anyone but Biden on the ticket.
    We agree on something once again, IL. I don't want Biden on the ticket, either. Seriously.....he has a lot of money and I believe a nice beach house on the Delaware coast. Given his cognitive decline, why can't he just spend the rest of his time on this earth relaxing and watching the waves roll in? I'll never understand this need to cling to power regardless of which political party one is affiliated with. Rob

Hunh. sure you could do that. But you could also show the Democratic leaders that Joe Biden is note going to get your vote by voting for any name on the Democratic ticket besides Joe Biden. I have no idea who’s on the ticket. ( Edited to add: Dean Phillips is on the ticket.)
    Does anyone honestly believe that Trump would better represent them than Biden? The people who voted "none of the above" in Michigan because they are pissed about Biden's Israel stance are deluded if they think that to be the case.

And anyone at this point that thinks that our president as of next january will be anyone other than biden or trump is also deluded. Unless one of them drops dead of a heart attack before the election.

I will consider a protest vote for Marianne Williamson.

California is not an open primary state for Republicans for the presidential race (it basically is for ALL OTHER races), no party preference can request a Dem or many 3rd party ballots for President. But to vote in the Republican PRESIDENTIAL primary you need to be a registered Republican.
    Trees don't grow on money

I did this, I think it was 1984 when I asked for a Democratic ballot during the primaries and for idealistic reasons which now escape me voted for Jesse Jackson. I've regretted that ever since because I eventually realized that crossing that line had no effect on anything other than my ability to say I'd done so. Since then, I've maintained that elections are serious business and shouldn't be gamed, and I stand by that belief.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    We agree on something once again, IL. I don't want Biden on the ticket, either. …Rob
    So, what concrete thing have you done to keep him off the ticket? I mean, other than yammering on social media.

Here’s what I’ve done for my country:

1.sent $100 to Dean Phillip’s campaign, probably the only political donation I will make this year. Let’s encourage non-Biden candidates, shall we?

2.Spent 4 freekin hours, yes FOUR, at the Republican caucus yesterday, lining up for Nikki Haley which of course was a useless effort but my personal ethos is: I don’t have to win, I just have to show up and be counted.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-3-24 at 2:44pm.

So, what concrete thing have you done to keep him off the ticket? I mean, other than yammering on social media.

Here’s what I’ve done for my country:

1.sent $100 to Dean Phillip’s campaign, probably the only political donation I will make this year. Let’s encourage non-Biden candidates, shall we?

2.Spent 4 freekin hours, yes FOUR, at the Republican caucus yesterday, lining up for Nikki Haley which of course was a useless effort but my personal ethos is: I don’t have to win, I just have to show up and be counted.
    IL, it's great that you have time like I once did when I was waiting tables to get involved - right now I am working 60 to 70 hour weeks which is why I am not here as often as I once was.

On what time I do have off, I am very tired and am playing catch up with the rest of my life. Since it's true that I am banking cash I am grateful and I am keeping my mouth shut and not complaining for once - but it's also true that I just don't have time to do the kinds of activism I once did. Rob

Thread Information