Page 237 of 241 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2401

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

It’s been fascinating watching the Republican politician freak out since the ridiculous Alabama Supreme Court decision about embryos. They are truly making ‘big lie’ their sole reason for existence. Anyone who believes their new stance on IVF or when they say they won’t be coming for your birth control if they have the chance is a fool.

Colorado is circulating a petition to add abortion rights as an amendment to the state constitution. I signed it recently and it seems to have enough signatures to go on the November ballot. I imagine as long as these things are left up to the states and the state officials are elected by a majority of the residents, people can determine their own fates, unfortunately at the expense of the minority.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I just realized that Vermont is an open primary state. So on March 5, I think I'm going to get a Republican ballot and vote for Nikki Haley. Not because I like her politics, but because the more people that stand up to Trump the better.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Colorado is circulating a petition to add abortion rights as an amendment to the state constitution. I signed it recently and it seems to have enough signatures to go on the November ballot. I imagine as long as these things are left up to the states and the state officials are elected by a majority of the residents, people can determine their own fates, unfortunately at the expense of the minority.
    It will remain up to the states up to the point that republicans control the house/senate/white house all at once again at the federal level. If, god forbid, that ever happens again we can expect national bans on abortion, IVF, birth control and basically any female medical care that involves reproduction other than "MAKE THE BABY COME OUT". Hopefully democrats will do an effective job of explaining that to the less involved voters. Because if they do republicans won't hold a majority ever again for anything more important than local dog catcher jobs.

Even in an alignment of the political stars my imagine can't picture people putting up with nation wide strict abortion bans. I think there would be significant civil disobedience in my blue state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Even in an alignment of the political stars my imagine can't picture people putting up with nation wide strict abortion bans. I think there would be significant civil disobedience in my blue state.
    It isn’t a good issue for winning Republican seats. The ballot issue here in my state is spearheaded by a pro-life activist organization that wants to hit a happy medium. They are going against their usual conservative political bedfellows.

I have, for a long time, been very interested in all of the reproductive law issues now being touched by the overturning of Roe vs. Wade. Very soon after that Supreme Court ruling I heard a radio interview with a local fertility clinic representative who assured the audience her clinic did not, generally, implant multiple embryos only to scrape out some of them later.

I had the distinct impression she was on a damage control media tour, getting out ahead of any protests coming the way of her clinic.

There are dozens of ethical, moral, and legal issues surrounding abortion laws that are seldom talked about at the mainstream level. The discussion always seems to come down to “ My body my choice” vs “ baby killing.”

I do not intend to start up yet another tiresome discussion here about abortion, but to suggest the whole world of human reproduction in society has thorny, thorny issues to contend with as technology marches on.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-29-24 at 9:36pm.
    I am not a serious person.

Not to debate the right or wrong of the abortion issue, but given the right circumstances that JP1 pointed out, the GOP faction could theoretically impose restrictions on distinct regions that are pretty vehemently opposed to. I don't think it would go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I just realized that Vermont is an open primary state. So on March 5, I think I'm going to get a Republican ballot and vote for Nikki Haley. Not because I like her politics, but because the more people that stand up to Trump the better.
    so is Maine--great minds think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Hunh. sure you could do that. But you could also show the Democratic leaders that Joe Biden is note going to get your vote by voting for any name on the Democratic ticket besides Joe Biden. I have no idea who’s on the ticket. ( Edited to add: Dean Phillips is on the ticket.)

You are doing your part to keep Joe Biden on the November ticket by not voting against him in primaries. I’m not sure why the Democrats don’t want to win the presidential election in 2024, I haven’t figured that one out. If enough people show their displeasure with the ancient person in the White House, it could cause Democratic Party leaders to stage a coup at July’s Democratic convention.

why don’t you vote for that nice chappy from the Twin Cities? I sent him a campaign contribution.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Hunh. sure you could do that. But you could also show the Democratic leaders that Joe Biden is note going to get your vote by voting for any name on the Democratic ticket besides Joe Biden. I have no idea who’s on the ticket. ( Edited to add: Dean Phillips is on the ticket.)

You are doing your part to keep Joe Biden on the November ticket by not voting against him in primaries. I’m not sure why the Democrats don’t want to win the presidential election in 2024, I haven’t figured that one out. If enough people show their displeasure with the ancient person in the White House, it could cause Democratic Party leaders to stage a coup at July’s Democratic convention.

why don’t you vote for that nice chappy from the Twin Cities? I sent him a campaign contribution.
    I don't know much about him. I'd rather make a statement against Trump than against Biden.

BTW, speaking of politicians, has Jeppy left the forum? I saw she asked to be removed and I see she's no longer in the membership list--am I reading it right? I know she had some controversial views, but I enjoyed many of her posts. If she really is gone, I'm bummed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information