Page 17 of 241 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I agree the capitol coupsters should have been met by an overwhelming response, but Trump didn't authorize any response for hours, aside from the overwhelmed Capitol Police, so people who had training in detaining unruly tourists--and not in hand-to-hand combat--were hung out to dry, with disastrous results.

"(I mean, *I'd* equate them in a way - in both cases, I would have preferred such an incredible and overwhelming armed police response that it would be remembered for generations, to discourage other idiots in the future....)"

You mean like Kent State is remembered? Again, we have a constitutional right to protest in this country. I don't want to live in a totalitarian society where you can be jailed for dissent, and we seem to be heading that way.
    The US President is not responsible for security at the US capital. Trump had no authority to “authorize a response”; which I think is a good thing that there was no Praetorian Guard to add to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Was our constitutional order really endangered by this buffoonery? Of course Trump was spouting BS. Maybe even criminally so. But doesn’t it take a similar level of hysteria to insist that we were a hair’s breadth away from buffalo-hatted fascism?

Or are certain parties desperate for a distraction from issues in the real world?
    You characterize an armed mob, constructing a gallows, breaking into the capital and coming within 40 feet of the target, the vice president of the United States, with the intention to murder him, "buffoonery"? You think that the hearings are because the democratic party is desperate for a distraction?

Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Hitler failed at a coup attempt in 1923, and was jailed for five years. Apparently, you can't keep a bad man down, either.

The most chilling anecdote in the January 6 narrative was Mike Pence demurring "I'm not getting in that car" when the Secret Service came to collect him.

"Pence clearly knew what Trump might have had in store for him if he didn’t overturn the results of the 2020 Presidential election as Trump had demanded. “It’s anybody’s guess what could have happened — martial law, civil war. You know, the beginning of authoritarianism,” Rep. Raskin said, speculating on what might have unfolded if the plan was successful. “I want people to pay attention to what’s going on here, because that’s as close to fascism as I ever want my country to come to." (HillReporter, April 23, 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The US President is not responsible for security at the US capital. Trump had no authority to “authorize a response”; which I think is a good thing that there was no Praetorian Guard to add to the mix.
    That was my immediate thought too, that Donald Trump doesn’t run law enforcement.

I suppose he could always put pressure on whichever government official runs the local National Guard ( I don’t know how that works in Washington DC) but calling out a national guard would have… taken a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Hitler failed at a coup attempt in 1923, and was jailed for five years. Apparently, you can't keep a bad man down, either.

The most chilling anecdote in the January 6 narrative was Mike Pence demurring "I'm not getting in that car" when the Secret Service came to collect him.

"Pence clearly knew what Trump might have had in store for him if he didn’t overturn the results of the 2020 Presidential election as Trump had demanded. “It’s anybody’s guess what could have happened — martial law, civil war. You know, the beginning of authoritarianism,” Rep. Raskin said, speculating on what might have unfolded if the plan was successful. “I want people to pay attention to what’s going on here, because that’s as close to fascism as I ever want my country to come to." (HillReporter, April 23, 2022)
    Pence did not want to be seen leaving. The optics of him not being there, And the actuality of him being there, are important. It is your own spin that you think he had concern about what Donald Trump had in store for him.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I've got to say that I really resent the Texas GOP. They are making an already polarized country more unstable. With this talk of secession - and who in their right mind would flee to Texas to become part of a new Texas nation? Human life won't likely be worth Medicare or SS there - what would be in it for you?

And I really resent the line about Abnormal lifestyle choice. I need my bills paid by anyone who would judge me just to justify being judged in.the first place.

Thankfully I have no need to add show my face in the cesspool of Texas anytime.soon if ever.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Pence did not want to be seen leaving. The optics of him not being there, And the actuality of him being there, are important. It is your own spin that you think he had concern about what Donald Trump had in store for him.
    Not my spin; I wasn't there. From Only I Can Fix It (Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker)

Speaking about the threats to Pence on Jan. 6 and the chants by rioters to hang him, Raskin said the vice president's Secret Service agents — including one who was carrying the nuclear football — ran down to an undisclosed place in the Capitol. Those agents, who Raskin said he suspects were reporting to Trump’s Secret Service agents, were trying to whisk Pence away from the Capitol. Pence then "uttered what I think are the six most chilling words of this entire thing I've seen so far: 'I'm not getting in that car,'" Raskin said. "He knew exactly what this inside coup they had planned for was going to do," Raskin said.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Forgot to add - I promised my family in Austria I would not enter Texas until it's safe again, if ever. My family is worried specifically about secession - they have not featured the rest of the Texas GOP's insanity in the Austrian media.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    You characterize an armed mob, constructing a gallows, breaking into the capital and coming within 40 feet of the target, the vice president of the United States, with the intention to murder him, "buffoonery"? You think that the hearings are because the democratic party is desperate for a distraction?

Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
    I think some dumb people did some dumb things that day, and some bad people did some bad things. I think criminal actions merit a law enforcement response. But I don’t think the republic was at serious risk of collapse.

I wouldn’t particularly mind seeing DJT eating prison food, but I also think trying to keep fear alive is a desperation move by a party staring down an electoral catastrophe.

Isn't the logical result of Federalism that we'll have fifty states all going their own way? Like the South can reinstate Jim Crow--if not outright slavery--and the Southwest can consider joining Mexico?

Thread Information