Page 11 of 241 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    This bullshit fake election fraud is going to be the undoing of our country. Some people will quietly sit by and be pleased with the results since team ugly red will be the winner when that happens. All I can say is **** them and the god damn ugly horse they rode in on.
    With eloquence like that, you should consider running for office yourself.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I thought I'd step in with a potential topic changing tidbit. Astrid calls me around every national election to make sure I don't vote Republican. I do find this annoying as I'd never do such a thing and I expect to be trusted as I've always kept this integrity intact.

When asked she said the following - You are disadvantaged and disenfranchised in that strange country. As if that were an explanation for not trusting my voting integrity! I'd never suspect them of voting OVP (Osterreichische Volkspartei) - The Austrian People's Party, what passes for Austrian Republicans.

I find it funky that even on a family level, there can be voting distrust/suspicion.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    When asked she said the following - You are disadvantaged and disenfranchised in that strange country.
    Did she explain why she believes that to be true?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Did she explain why she believes that to be true?
    Alan.....do you really need to ask that at this point? Rob

Alan.....do you really need to ask that at this point? Rob
    Just curious why she would think that way and if you agree with her. You present yourself as a fairly successful, happy, loved and appreciated person living the American dream. I'm just wondering why either of you would see yourself differently.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Just curious why she would think that way and if you agree with her. You present yourself as a fairly successful, happy, loved and appreciated person living the American dream. I'm just wondering why either of you would see yourself differently.
    It IS true that I am doing better, even much better, than when I first arrived here waiting tables in 2005. That said, I will never unsee the truths of America that I learned lucking out and getting to this point, much.of which was sheer luck and having the right people like me. And the virus definitely helped me break out of.hospitality.

And I'm getting off point. I am doing.better but I will always distrust and fear this country - as I said, I learned too much of the truth of it getting to thus current station in life. Disadvantaged though - maybe not so.much these days, I'll give you that. But definitely disenfranchised- I just know how to act as if this is not the case. I guess my.point is as follows - Deficiencies in citizenship have consequences. Something I wish more Americans were capable of grasping.

Rob

As to why Astrid would think this way - all she has to do is comparison shop modern day Austria vs. modern day Austria. The United States cones off as pathetically lacking in any such comparison - though as always I'll give you that Austria has a darker past than the US.

Rob

Should have been modern day Austria vs modern day America. My mistake, my bad. Rob

One last point - how attached can a thinking person possibly be to a country in which Uvalde can happen; police can get away with this utterly inexcusable behavior AND a country in which the right to bear arms is more important than young life?

I'm not capable of much attachment to such a country. I see myself and most people I know as too inherently decent to have attachment to a country in which my first paragraph holds true.

Rob

I guess my.point is as follows - Deficiencies in citizenship have consequences. Something I wish more Americans were capable of grasping.

Rob
    So, are you implying that all citizens of this country are disadvantaged and disenfranchised due to some sort of comparison to Austria or some other country? Or is it more granular than that?

Thread Information