Page 161 of 241 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 2401

Thread: Why NOT to vote Republican

The current federal deficit reflects an approximately $250,000 debt for each US taxpayer. Should we take a greater interest in what the government asks us to pay for?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The current federal deficit reflects an approximately $250,000 debt for each US taxpayer. Should we take a greater interest in what the government asks us to pay for?
    Ayup.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    While it's true that trump is not the president currently, it's also true that he is currently the only republican who has announced a candidacy for 2024. But we could just as well be discussing the previous 3 republican administrations. The only one that actually attempted to be fiscally responsible only lasted one term because of that. If any voter is actually looking for fiscal responsibility they will have to look outside of our two main political parties because there's absolutely zero chance that we will ever see a candidate from either of them that actually delivers on that. They all realize that doing that will insure that they have as much success as Bush the elder did in his reelection effort. Voters only want cuts to programs that they don't benefit from and there are enough federal spending programs out there benefiting enough people that that makes pretty much all of them untouchable beyond a performative but meaningless level.
    We can blame the political parties, corporate cabals, the deep state or CCP conspirators, but I think the fault for fiscal irresponsibility ultimately lies with us. We refuse to be spoken to like adults, and will savagely punish anyone in authority who tries to.

We much prefer pleasant myths. Our main entitlement programs are 10-12 years away from insolvency but we attack anyone talking about reform as heartless monsters bent on destroying them. Look at the moronic chanting at the SOTU.

Deficits don’t matter. We can have a Euro style welfare state without a Euro style tax regime if only we squeeze the rich for their “fair share”. There is a massive reserve of fraud, waste and abuse we can eliminate to fix everything. We can mint a miraculous platinum coin. Let’s give industrial policy another try. It’s all pretty much nonsense, but it’s preferable to making adult decisions.

Okay---Here's ONE reason NOT to vote Rerpubbliccan: They are Not-seez! They owe their allegiance to Der Fuehrwer! Here's the proof, and the voices in my head tell me she's just the tip of the iceburg! Yup. Congerss, is fulla Not-sees! See photo below. Hope that helpsa you somer. Thankk Mee.2023-02-12 (1).jpg

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    The problem is no one has the guts to stop worthless federal spending. Remembering the $28 million “bridge to nowhere” in Ketchikan that cost $28 million? Or the Abrams tanks the military said were unnecessary but were funded for millions anyway? We never learn from those past mistakes.

then of course we have the massive fraud in PPP loans to people who were not eligible. Medicare fraud. We get flyers about walk in tubs, scooters etc that they can provide for us and Medicare (aka taxpayers) will provide even though we have no disability.

No end to the crooks, liars and con men in and out of the government.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    The problem is no one has the guts to stop worthless federal spending. Remembering the $28 million “bridge to nowhere” in Ketchikan that cost $28 million? Or the Abrams tanks the military said were unnecessary but were funded for millions anyway? We never learn from those past mistakes.

then of course we have the massive fraud in PPP loans to people who were not eligible. Medicare fraud. We get flyers about walk in tubs, scooters etc that they can provide for us and Medicare (aka taxpayers) will provide even though we have no disability.

No end to the crooks, liars and con men in and out of the government.
    To be fair, if you really go into the program to get funding for walkin tubs, would you actually get one? I doubt Medicare pays for that.

But no matter, I have been told here on this forum that some would rather tolerate a ‘lil bit of fraud in Medicare than deny the program benefits to those in need. As though challenging one negates the other.

Flowers, I totally agree that we need to look at the fraud and corruption in all areas of government. We certainly would find plenty of money. We should also not limit the taxes that are paid towards SS at higher income levels. The last thing we should do is cut Medicare or SS checks. There’s money to be found in other places. Unfortunately the politicians are too corrupt from both parties.

From my humble sample size of work experience, once you get involved with big bureaucracy there is there is going to be waste and abuse. That said, I've found that private enterprise with competition operates far more efficiently than government monopoly, and privatizing Medicare would be a positive step. Of curse, then people would scream that greedy big pharma was raping them. Then there's the $400,000 sidewinder missiles used to shoot down balloons when a few bullets would probably work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Then there's the $400,000 sidewinder missiles used to shoot down balloons when a few bullets would probably work.
    The large balloon shot down of South Carolina was at 58,000 feet when they engaged. The operational ceiling of the F22 is ~50,000 feet, the effective range of the F22's cannon is ~2000 feet.

(And, wow, don't look up how much it costs to fly an F22 per hour! A single missile is in the noise, costwise, compared to flying these puppies around all the time. I am thinking a Piper Cub is more my speed, budget-wise)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The large balloon shot down of South Carolina was at 58,000 feet when they engaged. The operational ceiling of the F22 is ~50,000 feet, the effective range of the F22's cannon is ~2000 feet.
    Maybe that set precedence for the other three. Actually using sidewinder was the most efficient and practical show of might against simple balloon technology, but I can only start to imagine the cost to build and operate an F22. It probably makes that 28 million dollar bridge to nowhere seem minor.

Thread Information