Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My house sale

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Do you know, as much as I'm happy here, sometimes I still get waves of nostalgia for that old 70s "Brady Bunch" house I lived in for 35 years, but I'm sure it was just about the memories and not the house. "You can't go home again" as Tom Wolfe said (I think it was him?). Life moves on, but that doesn't keep me from looking over my shoulder with a tinge of sadness for what once was.
    Very much feeling that at my old place. Family has been in that house since 57, and extended family in the neighborhood, since sometime at least in the 30's.
    I went there to move some stuff, Sunday, and being the old guy in the neighborhood, I see how it has deteriorated and changed.

I miss the old days.

It sounds like your whole housing transition has worked out well. It took me about three years to get over leaving our sweet, little Texas house. DH is so miserable here and pines for "home". I still don't know where that is for me after all these decades but the weather has been brutal and unforgiving during our time here. Huge wet snow took down even more trees and limbs. No place for a gardener like me. Our goal is T'Giving with family in a different house.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Do you know, as much as I'm happy here, sometimes I still get waves of nostalgia for that old 70s "Brady Bunch" house I lived in for 35 years, but I'm sure it was just about the memories and not the house. "You can't go home again" as Tom Wolfe said (I think it was him?). Life moves on, but that doesn't keep me from looking over my shoulder with a tinge of sadness for what once was.
    Although I love the Seattle Eastside unreservedly, I've come to regret ever selling my Beaverton condo. It was so much better designed than Chez Decay, so much more convenient, so manageable.

I am minimal at associating places with memories. I am major in associating places with architecture. When I talk about missing my brick patio, I’m not talking about missing the memories of people on it and parties we had, I’m talking about missing the actual brick. The pretty shade plants around it and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am minimal at associating places with memories. I am major in associating places with architecture. When I talk about missing my brick patio, I’m not talking about missing the memories of people on it and parties we had, I’m talking about missing the actual brick. The pretty shade plants around it and etc.
    Yeah, I do have part of that--mainly to do with missing the size of the place. Again, I'm happy I downsized but every now and then I look back on having 4 bedrooms (well, one was an office with a twin in it). I do miss not being able to have people over to stay and spread out, but then again, that amount of luxury and still be on the lake would be pretty expensive.

The NJ house itself was nothing to brag about, except for its location adjacent to the park, where, ironically there was more nature there in some ways. No large bodies of water, but a creek where you could greet a duck family and the bullfrogs, and wooded areas to walk the dog without running into people. I miss that here.

Here, they mow down every bit of vegetation with a vengeance, "suggest" I cut down my trees, chase away the geese with fireworks (yet won't consider a vegetative buffer to deter them) and I'm sure eyes are on me when I walk around the barren common land.

Maybe it sounds like I've become bitter on the place, and not so. But no place is perfect.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine I can see that there’s plenty of wildlife and “country “in parts of suburban New Jersey. There are nice places like that all over the country in suburbia.

IL... Wonderful that your plans are coming to fruition! Sure am jealous! Am working on getting this house cleaned out, cleaned up and ready to sell. The problem still is where to go? I really loved the smallish trailer we rented this winter in Texas. The size was ample and very manageable. Hate the thought of shopping for a new place and figuring out the best place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    IL... Wonderful that your plans are coming to fruition! Sure am jealous! Am working on getting this house cleaned out, cleaned up and ready to sell. The problem still is where to go? I really loved the smallish trailer we rented this winter in Texas. The size was ample and very manageable. Hate the thought of shopping for a new place and figuring out the best place to live.
    That’s great that you were able to downsize to a smallish trailer and found it entirely doable.

"Manageable" is key for me going forward.

My favorite house was the old one in Kenosha which was built in 1920 and had 3 floors plus a basement. We remodeled it ourselves slowly. It was a great 14 years as I was raising my kids and living next door to my parents. We had so much fun. I was going to college which I loved. I love my condo as it’s just the right size for me.

Thread Information