Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting of innocent children

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Another school shooting of innocent children

I cannot even bear to think of it. Why oh why do our legislators not cherish the lives of innocent children and do everything they can to protect them.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Why oh why do our legislators not cherish the lives of innocent children and do everything they can to protect them.
    Because some of them cherish the second amendment more than they cherish children. If only they cherished children as much as they do fetuses then maybe something would be done. All it would take is a case or two before the radical hacks on the supreme court who don't believe in stare decisis and things would change. But that isn't likely to happen in any of our lifetimes.

Somehow "a well-regulated militia" is not what comes to mind when I consider our never-ending stream of gun violence. No other developed country has to put up with this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    No other developed country has to put up with this shit.
    Thatís what makes us Ďspecialí.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Because some of them cherish the second amendment more than they cherish children.
    Perhaps the problem is more nuanced than that?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Perhaps the problem is more nuanced than that?
    Perhaps. Iíll let the folks who appear to cherish the second amendment more than children explain what solutions they propose. In the past they havenít proposed much beyond tots and pears but perhaps this time will be different?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Perhaps. I’ll let the folks who appear to cherish the second amendment more than children explain what solutions they propose. In the past they haven’t proposed much beyond tots and pears but perhaps this time will be different?
    I believe if you look at the last 20+ years of discussion on this topic on this forum you might find some suggestions involving:

- prenatal healthcare and nutrition
    - early childhood education
    - access to heathcare
    - access to mental health services
    - economic justice
    - and so on...

I also think your assumption that people who advocate looking deeper "cherish the second amendment more than children " is mistaken, and limits discourse.

I would add universal background checks, licensing and testing, military assault-style weapons ban, and a complete overhaul of dark money and campaign finance. Also, a domestic terrorism unit with teeth.

I find it heartbreaking. Unfortunately this problem won’t be solved in my lifetime. There’s no way the founding fathers could have anticipated the type of guns we would have in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I find it heartbreaking. Unfortunately this problem won’t be solved in my lifetime. There’s no way the founding fathers could have anticipated the type of guns we would have in the future.
    I suspect you are wrong. Might want to read the Heller decision.

When the Constitution and Bill of Rights were written, it was commonly-accepted practice for wealthy individuals to own and operate armed warships, the tactical weaponry of the day, capable of reducing port cities to rubble. This was in fact the backbone of the young United States' naval strategy for ages, and a reason we didn't sign the Treaty of Paris in 1856.

Thread Information