Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 155

Thread: Another school shooting of innocent children

  1. #1
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,798

    Another school shooting of innocent children

    I cannot even bear to think of it. Why oh why do our legislators not cherish the lives of innocent children and do everything they can to protect them.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,175
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Why oh why do our legislators not cherish the lives of innocent children and do everything they can to protect them.
    Because some of them cherish the second amendment more than they cherish children. If only they cherished children as much as they do fetuses then maybe something would be done. All it would take is a case or two before the radical hacks on the supreme court who don't believe in stare decisis and things would change. But that isn't likely to happen in any of our lifetimes.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,388
    Somehow "a well-regulated militia" is not what comes to mind when I consider our never-ending stream of gun violence. No other developed country has to put up with this shit.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,175
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    No other developed country has to put up with this shit.
    Thatís what makes us Ďspecialí.

  5. #5
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,532
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Because some of them cherish the second amendment more than they cherish children.
    Perhaps the problem is more nuanced than that?

  6. #6
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,175
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Perhaps the problem is more nuanced than that?
    Perhaps. Iíll let the folks who appear to cherish the second amendment more than children explain what solutions they propose. In the past they havenít proposed much beyond tots and pears but perhaps this time will be different?

  7. #7
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,532
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Perhaps. I’ll let the folks who appear to cherish the second amendment more than children explain what solutions they propose. In the past they haven’t proposed much beyond tots and pears but perhaps this time will be different?
    I believe if you look at the last 20+ years of discussion on this topic on this forum you might find some suggestions involving:

    - prenatal healthcare and nutrition
    - early childhood education
    - access to heathcare
    - access to mental health services
    - economic justice
    - and so on...

    I also think your assumption that people who advocate looking deeper "cherish the second amendment more than children " is mistaken, and limits discourse.

  8. #8
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,388
    I would add universal background checks, licensing and testing, military assault-style weapons ban, and a complete overhaul of dark money and campaign finance. Also, a domestic terrorism unit with teeth.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    12,338
    I find it heartbreaking. Unfortunately this problem won’t be solved in my lifetime. There’s no way the founding fathers could have anticipated the type of guns we would have in the future.

  10. #10
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I find it heartbreaking. Unfortunately this problem won’t be solved in my lifetime. There’s no way the founding fathers could have anticipated the type of guns we would have in the future.
    I suspect you are wrong. Might want to read the Heller decision.

    When the Constitution and Bill of Rights were written, it was commonly-accepted practice for wealthy individuals to own and operate armed warships, the tactical weaponry of the day, capable of reducing port cities to rubble. This was in fact the backbone of the young United States' naval strategy for ages, and a reason we didn't sign the Treaty of Paris in 1856.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •