Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone done voice-over work?

Anyone done voice-over work?

I’m beginning a search for a lucrative work-from-home gig. Someone suggested that I check into voice-over work.
    The idea is appealing to me. I love to read, and as an elementary teacher I read to my students every day. Many of them reported, even years later, that listening to me read was the best part of their elementary school years. It seems that there are millions of audio books on the market, and, I assume, more every day. Someone has to read and record those, might as well be me! Anybody have any thoughts to add?

Do you have an agent?

Just asked my husband, who did it in the 90's. You need a demo and an agent. He said he spent 10k on the demo (ouch!!!!!) and got maybe two jobs. He had the best agent in Chicago, too. Hmm. Did not realize this was so disastrous. Was before I knew him.

He said the tech has come so far it would not cost that much now.

My DH used to hire voice-over people, and yes, jobs all went through agents. Anything in performing arts (which this is considered) is highly competitive. It sounds like you have a really good voice for your friend to suggest it, and that's key of course, but it would be a big time, energy, and possibly financial commitment in terms of breaking in. That's that hard part. And establishing a track record, because media producers tend to re-use the same people they trust.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My DH used to hire voice-over people, and yes, jobs all went through agents. Anything in performing arts (which this is considered) is highly competitive. It sounds like you have a really good voice for your friend to suggest it, and that's key of course, but it would be a big time, energy, and possibly financial commitment in terms of breaking in. That's that hard part. And establishing a track record, because media producers tend to re-use the same people they trust.
    I see this as a “work from home “idea rather often. I doubt that it’s practical for most people, although the OP might have success, who knows.

But I know that it takes much training, practice, and it’s hard work. There is a high level of professionalism and polish that needs to take place with the person just starting out.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-26-22 at 9:47pm.

UPDATE

I’m reminded of the time when I decided to get my teaching credentials. One of the requirements to enroll in the credential program was a passing score on a standardized test of general knowledge for elementary teachers. No problem. The test was being given at a college 30 miles away in two weeks. I signed up, paid my money, drove over there the Saturday morning of the test, took the test. Three weeks later I got my results, 97%. Wonderful, mailed a copy to complete my entrance file at the college.

It wasn’t until classes actually started that I learned “everybody flunks the test the first time” and “everyone studies for weeks to pass it.”
    Interesting. Was it dumb luck that I not only passed but got a very high score? Or was it confidence in my abilities?

Maybe just like this “reading aloud for pay” gig that I landed since I first posted this here, I didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to be able to do it.

I researched the freelance requirements, and various postings for such work, auditioned, got hired to read-and-record a children's book, $100/per hour of finished [edited] work, not to exceed 8 hours. I turned in the first half yesterday, got $400 this morning. Will complete the other half by the end of the day today. This afternoon I’ve received 2 more manuscripts from the same author, same terms/rate, another 14 paid hours of work is sitting in my inbox. I’m sure I can have it completed by this time next week.

This will be a total of $2200. in a week. No agent, no official prior experience, just hundreds of hours of reading for and with kids over lots of years. I guess I wasn’t supposed to be successful with this endeavor. But I’m happy to report- SUCCESS!

Wow!!! Well, you showed us! Congratulations!!!! Isn't there something about a bumble bee--they're not supposed to be able to fly but they do anyway? I guess you're a bee!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That’s wonderful!!

Excellent!

Fantastic ! Well done!!!

Thread Information