Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: And what are you watching in 2022?

It's rare I watch a movie in it's entirety in one sitting, but the other night I watched "Last Love," with Michael Caine. It was recommended by a friend. A fo; from 2013, Caine is a recent widower, grieving, estranged from his children, living in Paris (oddly, he's playing an American). He befriends a young French woman who is also alone in life. It was nice to see Jane Alexander who played his late wife.

I love Michael Caine, but I missed his accent.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    It's rare I watch a movie in it's entirety in one sitting, but the other night I watched "Last Love," with Michael Caine. It was recommended by a friend. A fo; from 2013, Caine is a recent widower, grieving, estranged from his children, living in Paris (oddly, he's playing an American). He befriends a young French woman who is also alone in life. It was nice to see Jane Alexander who played his late wife.

I love Michael Caine, but I missed his accent.
    Sounds like a good recommendation, although I'll probably have to watch it on my own. DH is not into romantic movies at all.

I also love Michael Caine and I think his coup de grace was Cider House Rules. I can't watch that movie without crying every 15 minutes, and I'm not a cryer.

I also love Jane Alexander.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The Crown, season five. Are we liking it?

Apparently they are leaving out the James Hewitt affair, Princess Diana‘s boyfriend when she was married. I think that’s a smart move because it’s such a well worn old tread story, no one needs that paraded before us yet again.

Some of these storylines are very interesting such as Princess Margaret meeting up with group captain Peter Townsend just before his death. The whole Romanov family burial and DNA identification. I am in ep. 6 and wow…Martin Bashir’s deception…I didn’t know about that.

The woman playing Diana is doing a bang up job. She is stellar. I love prince Phillip in the season.

Okay---when irt was late, late, late, and fatigue set in, I sat-n-watched several youtubes. One was a guy who mixes repairing old guitar amps with personal opinions about stuff, like why retailerss and manufacturers toss good, repairable items in the dumpster, and have gone so far as to intentionally damage the items to deter scroungers from salvaging them. But yeah---he took what could have been an easy fixer, and wasted too much time on it, by taking a shortcut that ended up costing him more effort. But, he's a hill person, so what would you expect? So, I moved on to a couple youtubes of "experts" rebuilding old Ponnyac engines, and THEY didn't teach me nothing, other than how to waste time and money doing it. Plus, one treated me to a rant on a certain subject I'm already aware of. But, no one I know would ever listen to ME rant on that particular subject for ten minutes, on youtube or anywhere else! Nope. But then---both presenters conclude by begging for contributions! Ha. Over the years, I've seen just as many youtube tutorials demonstrating the WRONG way to fix stuff, as the RIGHT way! It's almost as bad a time waster as you kidses' discussion of Orange VS Sleepy Joe. See? Hope that helps you kids some. Thankk mee.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The Crown, season five. Are we liking it?

Apparently they are leaving out the James Hewitt affair, Princess Diana‘s boyfriend when she was married. I think that’s a smart move because it’s such a well worn old tread story, no one needs that paraded before us yet again.

Some of these storylines are very interesting such as Princess Margaret meeting up with group captain Peter Townsend just before his death. The whole Romanov family burial and DNA identification. I am in ep. 6 and wow…Martin Bashir’s deception…I didn’t know about that.

The woman playing Diana is doing a bang up job. She is stellar. I love prince Phillip in the season.
    I finished it last night and will watch it again. Thought the first couple of episodes were very good. Thought they should have included more of the Hewett and less of them getting divorced--that divorce arc was what, like 3 episodes? Then nothing about the Hoare thing, and the Hasnat Khan thing didn't really seem to describe the relationship.

Really liked the Philip storyline, but he seems too short to be Philip.

Do you think that Charles actually plotted like this against his mother? I don't.

In real life, Diana seemed to take on a lot more of a separate life, and was not just a victim--she was a powerful person.

Really thought the Fayed storyline was fascinating--first time I heard of them was when Dominick Dunne wrote about them, the sons, living in Beverly Hills and painting the statues. Does anyone else recall this? Years before he met Diana.

I have always felt that Charles was a small and petty man made more so by his circumstances. Maybe not plotting against his mother so much as plotting for himself. Hard to hold on to a gameplan for decades and not put it into play.

I do believe Diana suffered devastating loneliness while both married and single. She had horrible taste in men. I can't believe that she would have ever married Dodi, he was too much of a tool.

Tybee, I don't think the Beverly Hills mansion was connected. I think that was Mohammed Al-Fassi a Saudi sheik.

I was disappointed with this season but did find the Queen's attachment to the Brittania interesting. I've toured it and it wasn't at all what I would have expected. Very formal. Do these people never want to slouch and sit in a soft chair??

I still applaud Harry for leaving to find his own way. It may end up being out of the frying pan into the fire but at least he gave it a shot. Charles has sniveled for years, but Harry gets vilified for his frustrations over it.

Thanks, Simplemind, for correcting this--somehow I got them mixed up because of the Chariots of Fire thing. Sorry for spreading false info, and thanks for your impressions of the Brittania!

I dont think Charles actively plotted against his mother, no.

I’m reading that Dodi’s fiancé, who he dropped two days before their wedding due to his involvement with .the Princess of Wales, , begin a lawsuit against him. She then dropped the lawsuit after the car crash that killed him and the Princess of Wales.

I knew very little about the Mohamed Kahn romance although apparently that went on for quite a while, but it was hush hush. People did good at keeping it quiet. It all came out quite a bit after she was dead.

As for the behavior of Charles vs Harry, The Prince of Wales has no choice, he can’t leave. Harry can easily leave once it was established that his brother would be having a passle of kids, all taking precedence over him as heirs.

I watched two streaming things over the weekend - Where the Crawdads Sing and Don't Worry Darling. The first was pretty true to the book and I thought it was OK. Classic storyline. The second was kind of mesmerizing with its 1950s setting(classic cars and Mad Men characters) but the ending left me dangling. The whole thing felt vacuous. DH was somewhat taken with the lead actress - Florence Pugh who was also in Little Women a few years back.

we finished All Creatures Great and Small and don't know what to watch next--any suggestions that are similar and uplifting and full of hope for humanity, as opposed to everyone dying?

Thread Information