Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: And what are you watching in 2022?

All I'm really watching right now is Mariners baseball where it seems (saying this very carefully in hushed tones) they may make it into the post season for the first time in 20 years.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Okay---Once in awhile I might sit-n-watch "Restaurant Nightmares". Like I was saying over on another thread, the episode I just saw was about a Ma-n-Pa pizza place in Doo-Doo Town, where the longtime owner, Pa, has become overconfidentt about the quyality of his food, and believe me---it looked bad. So yeah--he needed help, getting back on track from the chef. It's generally a good show; no violence, light dry humor, and sometimes a happy outcome. Plus, it deals with a subject of interest, as I believe that most restaurant food is NOT yummy. Hope that helps you some.2022-08-26 (5).jpg

bobby, I like "Restaurant Nightmares", too--but I think you are co-mingling two different shows: Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey and Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine.

I tend to prefer Gordon Ramsey over Robert Irvine. But DH and I love watching both shows. The family-owned restaurants tend to be sadly unable to change with the times and sadly overestimate their own abilities.

The best episode, though is the Amy's Baking Company episode, where the two lunatic owners had no clue. They berated customers and they actually took their servers' tips. I don't know who would ever work for those two. If you watch ONE episode, that's the one to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFfk9QbKhLg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    bobby, I like "Restaurant Nightmares", too--but I think you are co-mingling two different shows: Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey and Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine.

I tend to prefer Gordon Ramsey over Robert Irvine. But DH and I love watching both shows. The family-owned restaurants tend to be sadly unable to change with the times and sadly overestimate their own abilities.

The best episode, though is the Amy's Baking Company episode, where the two lunatic owners had no clue. They berated customers and they actually took their servers' tips. I don't know who would ever work for those two. If you watch ONE episode, that's the one to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFfk9QbKhLg
    TYVM. I will check it out. It sounds awesome and amazeen, as they habitually say in I-Wah. Yup.

I'm a fan of Ken Burns and have watched just about all of his series. Some are better than others, but I've generally liked all of them. I was hesitant to watch the latest on the holocaust. I've seen enough of the atrocities and it's sort of a downer to do reviews of it all. However I'd recommend at least the first in the series. It's mostly about American sentiments in the 30's and leading up to them, and the rise of Hitler. I thought it was interesting and Burns always digs up some high quality archival photos and footage. It was interesting to see some of the bustling cites in Germany and here. As he worked to the later years and abuses in the later episodes, I had to quit. I was glad I gave it a chance anyway.

I watch an interesting little foreign film called “LAYLA “about a High school age girl in Amsterdam, a Muslim, who was converted to Isis organization.

Evidently that is a phenomena over in that part of the world, Muslim youngsters born in .Europe who become enamored of radical Muslim life. I watched another TV series about the same topic that was absolutely gripping. These girls are seduced by the romanticism of radical Islam and they leave their comfortable European homes, always against the wishes of their parents who are far more liberal, to adopt a veil and marry a radical and move to the Middle East.

The stories are about their harsh life near and in Syria and their regret.

Apparently, as stated by this film, several of them come back and are repatriated By their home countries in various ways, not all treated alike.

I’ve gone down the YouTube rabbit hole of romance scammers. So many videos exist from an organization called Catfished, but Dr. Phil seems to have the best victim shows.

I’ve watched so many of them and they’re all alike in that the victims are middle-age to senior aged women. They send all the money they have to their scammer over years. By time their family hauls them in to Dr. Phil to have him talk sense to them, the women are usually broke.

I have gone from incredulous that people could be so extraordinarily naïve, to a position where I actually understand what’s going on. These women are paying for the dopamine high that they get from these text messages, declarations of love. One of Dr. Phils most recalcitrant victims made it clear when she said, and I paraphrase, “I don’t care if he’s real. I just don’t care. It doesn’t matter to me whether he’s real or not.”

And that right there is the most honest thing any victim has said on the shows.

Dr. Phil backed her into a corner asking her if she wanted to know if the guy was real and he kept pushing her until she said yeah she would want to know. He asks that of every scam victim. But in reality, they doesn’t wish to know. And in reality, so many of these victims nod and smile while on stage and shown the truth but get off stage and go back to their scammer guy.

The best victim, if anyone wants a recommendation, is Lois and her boyfriend Fred, with her side piece Paul, and her white money stash. Lois is unbelievably stupid. I’m sorry to say that, but she just is. She was entertaining enough to garner 3 Dr. phil shows!

One interesting thing to come out of the Dr. Phil show is that in their investigations, his production team said to the scammers “you guys have access to grammar and spellcheck software. Why don’t you use it more often? “

And that scammer replied that their own less than perfect English is a tool to weed out the non-gullible. One thing they found is that gullible people who put up with English language messages that are obviously not correct grammar are gullible for the rest of their scam.

I’ve gone from thinking I could never be a victim and send people tons of money like this, to understanding that I really could become a victim of the RIGHT SORT of online scam. Granted I like money way too much to throw much of it at an online person, but I can see myself getting caught up in a little scam that, if it was entertaining enough to me, if it kept my interest enough, I could throw a little bit of money at it. For instance, I buy Reddit awards for $5 and $10 a shot. I probably spend $20 a year on Reddit awards. That’s because I like clever rejoinders, and it’s fun to reward the people who make me laugh with their Reddit comments.

The Nigerians are not clever enough – yet – to hook me in because they just know how to call me “hunny” and “my love” and ask me if I’ve eaten that day. None of that is interesting to me.Also, when I talk to them on the phone I would very clearly hear a black man with a Nigerian accent. It shocks me how these women sometimes talk to these men on the phone and cannot hear the obvious
    accents. Sometimes the scammers explain it away by having multiple European parents or background so the women think the accents are German or French.

It is an interesting exercise, watching these shows, to try to figure out if YOU would be scammable, even when you know these poor, naive people clearly are deserving of whatever punishment they get for their own stupidity!

Your point about the middle-aged woman is interesting... I caught a "Dateline" show (I think it was Dateline) about the Dannemore escape. She had a husband and a couple of kids, and the interviewer kept trying to understand how a normal, middle-aged wife and mother could give it all up to help a convicted felon escape from prison. Her excuse/rationale was purely emotional. She felt she was taken for granted. Her entire family, all the people she loved, expected her to be there for them 24/7, but she didn't feel she got anything in return. She concocted this fantasy in which someone actually found her desirable for who she was. Of course, that was a delusion, as she learned after they made the escape. The interviewer asked, "If you were unhappy, why didn't you just get a divorce rather than sacrifice your relationship with your children and risk your life in jail?"

Our desires, whether for love or money, make us very vulnerable victims of all kinds.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"The Panama Papers"
    "Nebraska"

Thread Information