Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What frugal thing do you do that makes you an "extreme cheapskate"?

Yppej
    Cool off by going to the state pool with all the little kids from the projects. (It's across the street from the government housing.) Free recreation!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Wash and reuse plastic zip lock bags.
    I totally do that. As well as reuse the fruit bags from the grocery store for kitty litter.

I had to laugh at the headline.

I do a lot of strange things:
    I cut open tubes of toothpaste to get the rest out
    I wash the laundry with ivy or horse chestnuts
    I dry the laundry on the clothesline
    I wash freezer bags
    4.JPG
    I dry cherry pits to make cherry pit pillows
    I make my own soap
    I cook and bake everything that comes to our table from scratch
    we grow our own food
    I collect food and medicinal herbs from nature
    we don't eat processed foods
    we don't eat fast food
    I almost always walk barefoot
    I cut hair myself
    We do not use disposable items such as paper towels, tissues, aluminum foil, disposable towels, plastic cups, plastic cutlery, etc.

Oh, it's best to look at my blogs.
    You have to be willing to do the things others will never do in order to have the things others will never have.
    -unknown-

www.miteigenenhaenden.de

I absolutely LOVE That photo of your freezer bags on the clothesline. That is classic Amy D type stuff.

Do you know about Amy Dacyczen in in Germany? She wrote the Bible of household frugality called the Tightwad Gazette.

Asked Dh and he said I save shoestrings! Told him to keep only a few and put the rest in the Goodwill box. Didn't realize we had THAT many.

Add me to the list that washes and reuses ziplock bags. I will also use the same piece of foil to take my breakfast (piece of toast and slice of egg&veggie bake) to work in the mornings.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I don’t buy Ziploc baggies, I just buy the cheap baggies. And sure I wash them out I mean why not?

As for aluminum foil, I hate buying it. I can honestly say in my adult life I’m not certain I’ve ever purchased some. DH does buy it but we really don’t use it much. It’s funny that as some thing that remember my mother refusing to buy because it was too costly.

It’s also funny that a couple years ago one of my friends talked about her mother-in-law with dementia who collected boxes of aluminum foil. She shook her head and said she didn’t know what she was gonna do with it all. I said hey I’ll take some of it just bring some to me. So she did.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    For me it would be willingness to travel 3 hours to the border to pick and dig in the bins at the Nogales AZ Goodwill. Not to mention my neighborhood but when I've talked about this outside of where I live, I get those.....those.....those....looks, IYKWIM. It's like a adventure to me thesedays and this Tuesday I am there again, can't wait! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    For me it would be willingness to travel 3 hours to the border to pick and dig in the bins at the Nogales AZ Goodwill. Not to mention my neighborhood but when I've talked about this outside of where I live, I get those.....those.....those....looks, IYKWIM. It's like a adventure to me thesedays and this Tuesday I am there again, can't wait! Rob
    How much are pants and shirts at that Goodwill. You probably don’t know how much women’s clothes are but, how much are men’s long pants? Men’s shorts? Men’s short sleeve shirts? I’m just curious.

Things are pretty cheap in St. Louis although after Covid they did raise prices. I just bought two pairs of long pants for date and I think they were five dollars each the local Goodwill.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    How much are pants and shirts at that Goodwill. You probably don’t know how much women’s clothes are but, how much are men’s long pants? Men’s shorts? Men’s short sleeve shirts? I’m just curious.

Things are pretty cheap in St. Louis although after Covid they did raise prices. I just bought two pairs of long pants for date and I think they were five dollars each the local Goodwill.
    Goods are sold by weight regardless of condition, brand, or worth. Glass goods .29 a pound, linens and textiles (bedding and clothes) $1.49/lb., and hard goods (shoes and whatever else is left) $1.29/lb. Mostly it's unsold goods from Tucson Goodwill's moved down to the border and priced so that Mexican Nationals crossing the border can afford these goods. Gringos however in this case pay the Mexican price. Incredible deals are to be had, even with all the obvious resellers lurking about. Rob

Thread Information