Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: What frugal thing do you do that makes you an "extreme cheapskate"?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Oh well, I thought we had a new puppy among us.
    My husband wants one now and I said I'm too stressed with Mom, and let's wait. I will post a photo when and if he prevails.

Fair enough, Tybee!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Fair enough, Tybee!
    Darn it, now he has found one--I think the board manifested a puppy, lol.

In the "I can't believe I said this" category:

BIL is spending a couple of weeks with us for Thanksgiving. So when we offered him a bottle of soda, he asked if we have ice. I said, of course. Then DH told him that we have a bag of ice (we typically keep a couple of bags of ice in the outdoor freezer in case we have a lot of company). I said "of course, we also have ice trays." DH said yeah, but you can use the ice in the bags. And I actually said, "Why would you use the ice we have to pay for when you can get the ice out of the trays for free?"

I'm sure this is just a passive-aggressive way to impress upon BIL that we are mindful of our expenditures, whereas he doesn't appear to be, yet I do believe in the essence of that statement. If you have a coffeemaker, why would you go out and spend money for a cup of coffee at the convenience store? If you have food in the fridge that will go bad in a day or two, why would you go out and buy something for dinner? And I do think this is a mindset I wish BIL had, and to some extent, DH as well--although DH has gotten way, way better.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Just read through this whole thread. Lots off food for thought.

I make a lot of charity items for a group that sends to 42 different charities. Since all my quilting friends know I will find a use for it, I get stacks of fabric, bags of yarn and so on. Most quilt quality fabric and brand name yarn.

I have a silver sneakers membership for free gym through Medicare less than a mile away. I go there almost every day and after a class or treadmill session take a shower. Almost no one uses the immaculate private showers. I use homemade bar soap.

I go through all the grocery ads and make a list of the best buys at the three grocery stores near me. If I am close to one I stop in and take advantage of the sales so as not to necessitate an extra trip.

flowerseverywhere Ö I donít think the things you mentioned above make you an extreme cheapskate! Just a common sense way to live. Why spend more than you have to? The only thing I donít do is make homemade soap. For me, the time involved outways the reward. YLMV

The only soap I make is my laundry soap and I just made a double batch yesterday. Should be good for a while.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My husband has a thing for using an inordinate amount of paper towels on a daily basis. So I push back by re-using my little rectangles; for instance, our desert of two or three Pepperidge Farm cookies while we stream our shows at night comes on our own little 1/2 sized rectangle of paper towel. I save mine (and his if I can get to it before he throws it out) and use it to clean the mirrors with, or wipe out a greasy pan before washing because all it had on it was a few minor crumbs. And then they can be used to start the fire in the wood stove in the morning.

My husband is not frugal and doesn't think about these things in the least, so I push back whenever and wherever I can. I also save all of our aluminum drink cans (mostly his, as he drinks a ton of fizzy water and soda). There are no deposits on the cans like I had back in Michigan, but I found a metal recycler in Santa Fe that pays for scrap metal by the pound. I only go there when I have at least four garbage sacks full of cans and foil and may get about $7 for it all, but it is not out of my way to save, store and transport them to town. It makes me feel a little better about all the waste he produces, at any rate...

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    flowerseverywhere … I don’t think the things you mentioned above make you an extreme cheapskate! Just a common sense way to live. Why spend more than you have to? The only thing I don’t do is make homemade soap. For me, the time involved outways the reward. YLMV
    . I think it must be cheapskate because at the big gym there are three large classes going on at once with staggered times. Plus treadmills and so on and it is very rare anyone else showers there. Same with the pool. I can go to a water aerobics class with forty people and everyone goes home in their suits.
    when I go to the grocery store I’m the one with everything arranged in packing order so nothing gets squished, with all my coupons ready. I check the receipt before I leave the store for accuracy. People treat me like I’m nuts or are quite impatient if they are behind me . I also check each vegetable or fruit at the farmers market. I’m super careful and I am not rushed. Unlike everyone around me

i do the same. I think it is wise to get the most for your money.

Thread Information