Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 106

Thread: What frugal thing do you do that makes you an "extreme cheapskate"?

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,413
    When we have fresh broccoli, the stalk parts that get trimmed off go into a plastic baggie into the freezer. When the baggie is full, I'll make broccoli soup.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  2. #32
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,321
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    When we have fresh broccoli, the stalk parts that get trimmed off go into a plastic baggie into the freezer. When the baggie is full, I'll make broccoli soup.
    That's a good idea!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  3. #33
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    21,973
    DH is bringing in tiny broccoli pieces from the garden. They aren’t especially good. I have to eat them fresh because he will not eat cooked broccoli. I would love to make a lot of broccoli soup, but he won’t eat it. And frankly, any creamed soup is not calories I need to consume. I suppose I could make it without a cream base.

  4. #34
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,307
    Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Sometimes I freeze leftover coffee in ice cube trays. I'll use it for iced coffee so it doesn't get watered down by regular ice.
    What a great idea!

  5. #35
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It's sort of a mystery to me why clothes lines have fallen out of favor.
    I think it has to do with the fact that in a lot of families both adults work so scheduling when to do laundry and be able to hang up/remove clothes becomes a hassle. Weekends would work for many but only if it doesn't rain, and if they are fine with the commitment of being home to remove stuff from the line once dry.

  6. #36
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,321
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I think it has to do with the fact that in a lot of families both adults work so scheduling when to do laundry and be able to hang up/remove clothes becomes a hassle. Weekends would work for many but only if it doesn't rain, and if they are fine with the commitment of being home to remove stuff from the line once dry.
    I also think it's an aesthetic thing. People don't like seeing neighbors' clothes hanging out all day. It smacks of tenement living if you are living in close quarters. For that reason I use an umbrella line, which doesn't string my clothes across the yard in view of passersby, and I also don't hang my clothes on the weekend when my seasonal neighbor is here.

    I wish it weren't so that people feel line drying is offensive, but I think that's the case.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  7. #37
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    21,973
    I cannot even think of that time last time I seen clothes drying on the line. You would think in Hermann somebody would still be hanging up clothes, but I don’t see it.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,510
    We see clothes on the line often in our fairly rural area. Often people don't have a dryer, or they want to do the heavy jeans etc. on the line. Not so many sheets or blankets these days. I used to (40 years ago) always hang them out, but our neighbors would burn trash and the clothes would stink...or the dirt,gravel driveway next door would make dust, and I am lazy!

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    DH is bringing in tiny broccoli pieces from the garden. They aren’t especially good. I have to eat them fresh because he will not eat cooked broccoli. I would love to make a lot of broccoli soup, but he won’t eat it. And frankly, any creamed soup is not calories I need to consume. I suppose I could make it without a cream base.
    Actually, you can control the thickness/creaminess of the broccoli soup by which and how much liquid you add to it. I cook the stems in water or broth until soft. I drain the liquid into a my large measuring cup, leaving the stems in the pot. I have a hand blender which I use to blend up the broccoli, adding back some of the liquid as needed and until the thickness I want. When I make myself a bowl/cup of the soup, I also add shredded cheese of choice which also adds a degree of thickness/creaminess.

    Anyway, all of the above to simply say you can definitely control the calories!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,413
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I also think it's an aesthetic thing. People don't like seeing neighbors' clothes hanging out all day. It smacks of tenement living if you are living in close quarters. For that reason I use an umbrella line, which doesn't string my clothes across the yard in view of passersby, and I also don't hang my clothes on the weekend when my seasonal neighbor is here.

    I wish it weren't so that people feel line drying is offensive, but I think that's the case.
    I am so grateful for where I live as there are always many homes with clothes lines and clothes hanging out all day!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •