Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Bad Night for Lies

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Damaged as it is, I don’t think the GOP is irreparable as an instrument of the conservative cause. If the Democrats can get past slavery and (the real) Jim Crow, certainly we can get past Trump without an “existential crisis”.

I’m happy to let the voters judge the party in power by the quality of governance it has been providing. I think they are capable of seeing past the ideological smoke and mirrors to see who is failing in office.
    Let's just hope he goes away (by any means)! I would not be unhappy if he dies (apparently IL and other others feel the same). What I cannot tolerate is more of him...and his total failure in office.

The democrats got past slavery when republicans realized they could win electorally by becoming the party of racism and white nationalism, taking a sizable chunk of democratic voters in the process. I don't think the republicans will be able to dump the "big steal" and "replacement theory" supporters on democrats. First off, the democrats don't want any part of that, and second off, if the republicans dump half their voters they'll never win anything again.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The democrats got past slavery when republicans realized they could win electorally by becoming the party of racism and white nationalism, taking a sizable chunk of democratic voters in the process. I don't think the republicans will be able to dump the "big steal" and "replacement theory" supporters on democrats. First off, the democrats don't want any part of that, and second off, if the republicans dump half their voters they'll never win anything again.
    I never bought the cherished myth of noble Democrats and bigoted Republicans back in the seventies as the reason for them taking racial politics in a different direction. They were losing a lot of working class voters in an inflationary period much like today. The old political machines they used to depend on were crumbling, and the introduction of primary elections in many places created the need to appeal to the “base”. And they saw an opportunity to tap into a large and lucrative reservoir of liberal guilt.

Stupid as it is, “great replacement” idea has it’s roots in the equally silly “emerging Democratic majority” piffle of years past. That the demographic trend was toward people they believed would have an irresistible genetic predisposition to vote for them.

I think it’s almost always a mistake to frame politics as moral allegory.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Wonder how many of them died from not believing in covid?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Wonder how many of them died from not believing in covid?
    I'm sure if that number were worthy of note all the major news networks would have highlighted it twice per hour for weeks on end and The New York Times and JP1 would have giddily mentioned it at least a few dozen times.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We may find out next election…. hopefully.

Thread Information