Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Went to a citywide garage sale today and found a number of items for GD and a nice Columbia raincoat for me. Was an idyllic day to be outside!

Yppej
    Visiting free sites on my vacation, mainly outdoors.

Yesterday was the last full day of school, so the cafeteria is no more. Left over yogurt and peach slices free for the taking. I managed four yogurt cups and a bunch of sliced peaches. Will make good snacks and desserts.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Went to a protest and offered gas money to the driver but she refused it, saying she was going anyways.

Yppej
    Was thinking of getting a plug-in GPS but I made it through my vacation without one. The one I was given 7 or so years ago broke and the program on my phone is a data hog so I don't use it.

You can always stop at a gas station and ask for directions or ask people walking alongside the road - did each once over the course of the week.

DH fixed the liftback on my car--gas struts were broken and he ordered parts in mail replaced them. Yay, DH!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Was thinking of getting a plug-in GPS but I made it through my vacation without one. The one I was given 7 or so years ago broke and the program on my phone is a data hog so I don't use it.

You can always stop at a gas station and ask for directions or ask people walking alongside the road - did each once over the course of the week.
    Garmin plug in GPS is totally worth it IMO although I haven’t priced them recently. And, you are not always near a gas station or people when you need directions.

Fire departments are a good place to get directions. Maps!!!! I just printed out google map directions for our trip to MA- 7 hours...trying to avoid too much traffic, but will use the gps too if I can get her to go the way I want!!! with the Google step by step I think I can program her to do it!
    But we will take maps, too.

I love the maps. I have had my phone service conk out so many times, especially here in Maine, and we bought a state gazette, very reassuring.

I also have a 50 state atlas when I go on trips. And for some reason, three maps of Vermont in my car!! Guess it is wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I love the maps. I have had my phone service conk out so many times, especially here in Maine, and we bought a state gazette, very reassuring.

I also have a 50 state atlas when I go on trips. And for some reason, three maps of Vermont in my car!! Guess it is wishful thinking.
    We certainly have state maps in the car and a highway atlas at home, consulted but they’re there as back up to GPS.

But it is within a city that I really need GPS because you can’t get those paper maps easily.My standard process for going to a new place in the St Louis region is:

1) Look it up on a digital map, And take a screenshot of a couple of views.

2) Figure out my route, and draw it out on paper with pencil

3) set my cell phone GPS to the destination

Using all three methods I usually get there without mishap although it’s not unusual for me to get lost at least once on each sojourn.

When I go to a new place as I did recently in Chicago and Madison, I eyeball the highways which were easy in this case, and then rely entirely on GPS to get me to the specific destination.

Those paper maths I draw? I have a file of those because they are places I go perhaps no more often than once or twice a year, But they are ongoing.

Thread Information