Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Provocative Quote of the Day

Provocative Quote of the Day

From Ezra Klein, NYT today in "Don't Let Climate Change Stop You From Having Children."

"Fredric Jameson, the Marxist literary critic, is often credited with the observation that it’s easier to imagine the end of the world than to imagine the end of capitalism."

Discuss.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I agree. Any system so productive it can afford frivolous luxuries like “Marxist literary critics” will easily see us to the stars.

At a mimimum you should have them at or below the replacement rate.

I really think a lot of folks believe they can buy their way out of the end of the world.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I really think a lot of folks believe they can buy their way out of the end of the world.
    Given the historical record of the doomsayers, I think the odds favor the optimists. Not yet, but that day is coming when people will be able to buy passage to other worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Given the historical record of the doomsayers, I think the odds favor the optimists. Not yet, but that day is coming when people will be able to buy passage to other worlds.
    I have no doubts that you are right about this.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    From Ezra Klein, NYT today in "Don't Let Climate Change Stop You From Having Children." Discuss.
    Climate change is plenty enough reason to voluntarily limit family size. We need children with environmental concern and leadership potential to keep the next generation from destroying themselves or at least clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Climate change is plenty enough reason to voluntarily limit family size. We need children with environmental concern and leadership potential to keep the next generation from destroying themselves or at least clean up the mess.
    I don't think it is a "next generation" thing but rather a "now" and "all of us" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I don't think it is a "next generation" thing but rather a "now" and "all of us" thing.
    Sort of deviates from the issue of having children or not?

As CNS+Y would say, teach your children well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Sort of deviates from the issue of having children or not?
    I admit to skirting the issue of have children or not to focus more on the issues of who and when action and education should start. So, from that perspective, I am in the "now" and "all of us" camp, versus waiting for the next generation to be education and to do.

Thread Information