Thread: Joshua Tree "sky scraper"

Joshua Tree "sky scraper"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BLIjeEVNA4

Kirsten does a great job of finding uncommon homes and getting the owners/designers to explain their thought processes. This is definitely not one that I would be interested in living in, and I assume it was insanely expensive to build. But it is a fascinating place nonetheless. He will never sell it for what it cost him to build, but I suspect that he has enough money that he doesn't care about such things.

Very interesting! The owner took Frank Lloyd Wright to another level in terms of blending with the environment! And he used one-way mirrors--the tool of my trade when I do focus groups.

I thought the restrictions on their first home were strange. Why 20 ft wide?? Why did they have to connect to the grid? In any case, their response was fantastic! Beautiful home.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Definitely not my cup of tea, but still very cool.

It does kind of resemble a Stanley Kubrick installation. Interesting.

Ugh. Just shoot me in the head if I have to ever live in a desert scape like that.

OK I have questions I wasn’t gonna watch the entire video with these people. When they talk about connecting to water, what does that mean? They are certainly not getting piped in water all the hell the way out there, right?

When they talk about connecting to the electric grid, where are the wires? Did you all see any wires?

How do they think that glass front is going to stay clean when there’s nothing but dirt and dust blowing around all the time.???

At one point in the video they show that there are in fact neighbors not too far off. The prices they mentioned for electric and water connections were probably to extend from where the water and electric end at those homes.

And I agree, keeping those windows clean is not a chore Id particularly want. But I suspect they have enough money that they hire people who take care of that a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ugh. Just shoot me in the head if I have to ever live in a desert scape like that.
    That was pretty much my thought. I've seen a few attractive desert scapes, but that wasn't one of them.

Thread Information