Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I've stumbled across (fava beans)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Something I've stumbled across (fava beans)

Lately I've had the good luck to run across fava beans. For less than $2 a Middle Eastern salad for 2 can be put together (can of fava beans, garlic, salt, tomatoes, lemon juice, and onion) - and get this!

Fava beans contain L dopa that turns into dopamine in your body. I'm finding this discovery to be noticeably anti depressant in these rough times so I thought I'd pass this along.

Rob

Thanks! Trying to think if I've ever had them before... I think so, but can't place the dish.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I hear they're good with a glass of chianti...

Hissing sound.

I once had a fava bean hummus at a local brewpub. I've tried to reproduce at home with only limited success, but it might be worth experimentation.

My introduction to fava beans was a can of Foul Mudammas, which I bought in a little store in a big city.

Foul Mudammas is a traditional Egyptian breakfast. Rather than the convenience of opening a can of Foul Mudammas, I would probably pressure-cook fava beans in Insta Pot.

http://www.onearabvegan.com/2017/08/...ian-fava-beans

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Whahaha, I was trying to think of that quote from Silence of the Lambs! Perhaps the first place I ever heard of Fava Beans!

Yes, I love kidney beans, black beans, white beans, navy beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans both dark and red, cannellini beans--but I unfortunately have a bad visceral response to fava beans thanks to Anthony Hopkins, and I have no interest in eating them, with or without chianti.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I never ate beans growing up--except for green beans and limas in succotash--but I've grown to love garbanzo beans in salads, chana dal, and other dishes, along with lentils, pinto beans, and more.

I never ate beans growing up--except for green beans and limas in succotash--but I've grown to love garbanzo beans in salads, chana dal, and other dishes, along with lentils, pinto beans, and more.
    I hated beans until I went vegetarian, and then my miraculous body activated a taste for nuts (which I also hated) and beans. I think that's so cool that my body started craving the protein I needed when I rejected animal protein. I still hate peanut butter, however.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information