Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homestead 2022

Homestead 2022

So I just stumbled across my homestead thread from last year. I clearly did not have time to remember it after school started. Perhaps I should be less ambitious and call this “homestead summer”

I was reassured to see that I was still trying to get summer crops in on june19 and the garden produced fine.

here is the one year update on last year’s goals:

trying to be more intentional, remember I do not have to do everything at once, and avoid “putting out fires” (by at least not starting them myself.)

- actually started a fire this spring. By accident. It was scary and burned almost 1/4 acre of field, fortunately the wind was blowing toward the ditch full of water and one side was bordered by the pond, so I only had to beat out one side to keep it from getting completely out of control.

KEEP RECORDS

- lost my grip on this. Still have records but they are on random slips of paper instead of in my gardening notebook.

Vegetable garden:

- did well. Stored too much of some things, not enough of others.

by December - clean off the fence line, remove sagging/rusted fence section, have everything inside the fence planted or under mulch/sheet compost

- did not finish this, but made progress.

herb garden (this is new):
    Decide what I want to plant in it next year (this year is a few perennials plus “tuck things in randomly”)

- stuck with perennials for now, it looks good.

finish rock border

- done by Dd

fruit garden:
    mulch and maintain strawberries and raspberries (both planted this year), elderberry starts (last year) and blueberry bush.

- lost my grip on the strawberries again, raspberries need work, cleaned out around the elderberries and planted more.

learn to make more elderberry starts.

- not yet.

Chickens:
    finish chickshaw before current crop of 43 chicks needs it! (My kids are actually building this - it is half done, chicks are three weeks old.)
    prep winter quarters for new layer flock (will not keep all 43 - chickshaw sleeps 40, but will probably cut back to 36.)

- chickshaw is done and worked for a while, then a fox ate a lot if the chickens. I’m down to 25. They are living in the barn.

Goats:
    new pasture fencing for buck pen and new rotational pasture

- done

sell bucklings

-partly done

Breed all 4 Does (my herd was significantly reduced the last two years by old age - one year I had a lot of pretty doelings and I kept them all.)

- done, 4 girls, 4 boys

buy two goats IF and ONLY IF I find just what I want.

- not yet

so, my goals for this year are to:

get the records back in order

Garden (and herb garden):
    better balance of harvest/use/storage
    finish the clearing and use the tarps more.

fruit garden:
    Recover the strawberries and make cages to keep the birds off.
    learn to make elderberry starts
    prep space for more blueberries

Chickens:
    put up an electric fence
    replace some breeds I lost all of.

Goats:
    more new fencing
    breed three does
    sell down males.
    keep an eye out for new stock and buy if found.

today my grandson and I are planting pumpkins.
    What have you done today to make the world a better place?

Sounds like great progress was made. List of to-do's seems reasonable. Wishing you the best of luck in all the varied endeavors!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

cl, that sounds really good. I have to say that I admire, and envy, your drive and work ethic. I struggle with LAS (lazy a$$ syndrome) and as a result get little accomplished. I have had "fix chicken pen and get chickens" on my list for like 4 years now. I have settled with buying eggs from the neighbor. I appreciate your updates- I find your posts inspirational. PS: we now seem to have intermittent small goats. They come from the adjacent field when they get bored, I guess. I don't mind them, as long as they don't get into too much stuff, and they are so cute!

The heat index is horrible this week, and so of course this is the week I have to work in the garden or barn. I went out this morning and worked pulling weeds and lifting garlic until I was dripping wet and thought, well, it’s got to be close to 11….

it’s 9:30.

I’m hydrating in the nice cool basement and then I will go back out and lift the second bed of garlic.

i still have a couple of hours to work before the heat index hits body temp (my quitting point) so I can put in short sessions.

time to wreck another shirt….

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    i still have a couple of hours to work before the heat index hits body temp (my quitting point) so I can put in short sessions.

time to wreck another shirt….
    Current temp is 90* with 56% humidity which feels like 98*. Stop by my house and you can cool off in the pool and face off with my wife and grandson in one of their epic water gun fights.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan, that looks like fun!!

CL - inspired by your progress in homesteading.

Alan - looks like Granny has good cover, but if it's that hot out, who cares if you get soaked!

Thank you for the kind invitation Alan. They do look like they are having fun.

I’ve got three dirty shirts, a dehydrator full of oregano, a big bag of beets and a little container of peas in my fridge, a stack of onions on the porch, two beds of garlic lying in the sun so the dirt will dry and be easy to clean off the roots this evening, and a mess of beet greens I’m about to chop up for dinner.

Looks like fun, Alan!

I'm always amazed at all you do, CL. Thanks for sharing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Lol - I always get to the end of my day and feel like I have done nothing.

planted a few tomatoes and picked the first chamomile of the year this morning - going to try to put in a few more tomatoes before the heat gets too bad.

Thread Information