Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe vs. Wade.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I've committed to a march tonight here in Phoenix. It will be interesting as I have not had time for such since fleeing hospitality - now that my hours are cut back and now that the United States has continued to prove it's not long term viable citizenship, I have to protest. If I didn't, knowing what I do about this country, I'd be indirectly responsible for the R/W overturn myself. Nope. I will not live with being indirectly responsible. America is not worth this.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Congress can't do anything about it as long as there's a filibuster and intransigent Republican senators. There are hundreds of House-passed bills that Mitch McConnell hasn't even allowed to come to a vote. This government is positively dysfunctional, and I lay that at the feet of Republicans who refuse to do their jobs.
    No, I don’t mean do they have the votes to pass any such legislation, I mean do they have a legal right to do it and would any such legislation pass court examination? That’s what I’m asking.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-24-22 at 5:53pm.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Something POSITIVE, though. I personally believe the R/W overturn is planting the seeds to split up this country - and in my lifetime. I don't see now how this country can continue the BS charade of being unified for any real length of time. Here's to no qualified Immunity, socialized medicine, and basic human rights in the split off we run to should I still be in the US.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    No, I don’t mean do they have the votes to pass any such legislation, I mean do they have a legal right to do it and would any such legislation court examination. That’s what I’m asking.
    That's a moot point, if we can't pass a bill.

Per Rep. Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania, there's a bill going nowhere in the Senate that addresses just this issue*.

*https://www.npr.org/2021/09/24/10389...on-rights-bill

That's a moot point, if we can't pass a bill.

Per Rep. Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania, there's a bill going nowhere in the Senate that addresses just this issue*.

*https://www.npr.org/2021/09/24/10389...on-rights-bill
    yes, I have already seen that article. I disagree it is a moot point unless you mean right this moment in time with this make up of Congress, then, sure.

Thinking A little bit further down the road than today, the question is valid. .

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    what will they do in return if voters made it the defining issue of the November election? Codify it in to law? Pity they can't do that now. Add seats to the Supreme Court?
    Apparently what they are doing now is singing God Bless America on the steps of the House of Representatives. So effective…🤮

Adding Justices to the Supreme Court has been done before. I propose any interviewees must show proof of religious non-affiliation. I think that's only fair.

Adding Justices to the Supreme Court has been done before. I propose any interviewees must show proof of religious non-affiliation. I think that's only fair.
    "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." ~ Article VI, US Constitution
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You'd have to change the Constitution for that.

Article VI

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." ~ Article VI, US Constitution
    Hahaha! How is that working out for us?

Thread Information