Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe vs. Wade.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm disgusted beyond words that we've come to this. Alito's reference to an 17th-century misogynist* in setting out his opinion is the perfect metaphor.

*https://crooksandliars.com/2022/05/a...-literal-witch

So now that the first domino has fallen, and given the current oppressive climate in this country, I have no doubt that LGBTQ, interracial marriage, and other privacy issues are at stake. Republicans--the party of personal freedom. Ha!
    Perhaps not all hope is lost. Maybe our brighter young people will flee to better countries, taking their skills and energy with them to a better deal/country. America has certainly earned such. And maybe more older folks will retirement visa their way out - this nation no longer seems viable for a good number of it's people.

Perhaps things have gone beyond fighting for change - maybe it's now about fleeing. Life is short, the clock is ticking, don't we ALL deserve better than what America has become/is becoming?

Rob

Thomas's concurring opinion encourages the court to make it about any right that is judicial, not by statute.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Why are we making this about other issues? This isn't about men. Yea sure maybe eventually. But right now it's about women. Not everything is really about men.
    You are right. At the moment this is about women. Granted.

My take? Things will not just remain about women only for long. Well, I always do love to protest and now that I have time.....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Thomas's concurring opinion encourages the court to make it about any right that is judicial, not by statute.
    I hope that’s true.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Perhaps not all hope is lost. Maybe our brighter young people will flee to better countries, taking their skills and energy with them to a better deal/country. America has certainly earned such. And maybe more older folks will retirement visa their way out - this nation no longer seems viable for a good number of it's people. b
    My daughter is finishing up her Ph.D. this month at Cambridge. She will almost certainly not be returning to the USA. I may go join her at some point once my elderly parents pass away. I've already "packed my two bags" in the sense that I have housing and assets secured over there.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My daughter is finishing up her Ph.D. this month at Cambridge. She will almost certainly not be returning to the USA. I may go join her at some point once my elderly parents pass away. I've already "packed my two bags" in the sense that I have housing and assets secured over there.
    YES! YES! YES! Sanity! Bring it on and congrats to your daughter.

Rob

I am not clear how any law passed in Congress to stop abortion restrictions would work.

The Woman’s Health Protection act failed to get Senate votes to pass it last month, and it restricted what the states coukd say about abortion.

But does it matter it failed? How does a Federal law on rights trump a state law? Wouldn’t this federal law have been declared unconstitutional?

I am genuinely curious.

Brett Kavanaugh, under oath "Roe is an important precedent. Roe and Casey have been reaffirmed many times. Casey is precedent on precedent.

Neil Gorsuch, under oath. "Roe v. Wade...is a precedent of SCOTUS. It has been reaffirmed... A good judge will consider it as precedent."

John Roberts, under oath, "Roe is settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis. It is settled."

Apparently being honest is not a trait we should expect of supreme court justices anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    How does a Federal law on rights trump a state law? Wouldn’t this federal law have been declared unconstitutional?

I am genuinely curious.
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." ~ 10th Amendment to the US Constitution

I interpret this to mean that since the Constitution says absolutely nothing about abortion, Congress would have to approach the subject from another angle, in much the same way if they don't care for how a state prosecutes a murder charge, they'll sometimes prosecute themselves using the charge of denying the victim's civil rights to life or liberty. Of course in this case I guess they'd first have to legislate a lack of civil right to life or liberty to the unborn. That might prove tricky.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And sadness for LGBTQ people and anyone who uses abortion. Thomas made no bones about the fact that they are coming for us next. And since the radical activists on the supreme court are insistent on going back to the bad old days of the 1950's Brown v. Board of Ed will undoubtedly get cast aside too at some point.
    “It’s a sad day for the court and for the country,” Biden said at the White House. He urged voters to make it a defining issue in the November elections, declaring, “This decision must not be the final word.”

GD trump packed the supreme court.. now the will of the majority of the people is not being honored.

Thread Information