Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 352

Thread: Roe vs. Wade.....

  1. #131
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I guess you don't understand Republicans such as myself then. I think the primary objective of our federal government is to protect us from those who may wish us harm. Any government that wants to allow, if not encourage, a child to be killed the day before its natural birth is not only not doing its job, it's diametrically opposed to it's primary function.

    It seems obvious to me that lots of people don't understand the role of government, it's not to grant you any right you may desire, it's to protect others from the harm you wish to inflict upon them.
    I can't imagine a scenario where a child is aborted "the day before its natural birth." Can you cite an instance? The vast majority of terminations are done in the first trimester. That sounds like an urban legend to me.

  2. #132
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,751
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I can't imagine a scenario where a child is aborted "the day before its natural birth." Can you cite an instance? The vast majority of terminations are done in the first trimester. That sounds like an urban legend to me.
    That would be the result if the abortion on demand pipedream is ever realized. It was nearly memorialized in the recent Women's Health Protection Act which 49 of 50 Democratic Senators voted to authorize under the guise of 'women's health', which would include something like post-partum depression.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #133
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That would be the result if the abortion on demand pipedream is ever realized. It was nearly memorialized in the recent Women's Health Protection Act which 49 of 50 Democratic Senators voted to authorize under the guise of 'women's health', which would include something like post-partum depression.
    I thought then, and I think now, that you are stretching quite a bit with that interpretation of the text.

  4. #134
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,751
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I thought then, and I think now, that you are stretching quite a bit with that interpretation of the text.
    If it ever passes, I guess we'll find out.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #135
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I guess you don't understand Republicans such as myself then. I think the primary objective of our federal government is to protect us from those who may wish us harm. Any government that wants to allow, if not encourage, a child to be killed the day before its natural birth is not only not doing its job, it's diametrically opposed to it's primary function.

    It seems obvious to me that lots of people don't understand the role of government, it's not to grant you any right you may desire, it's to protect others from the harm you wish to inflict upon them.


    That is YOUR definition of government. Show me where it says it is to protect others....

  6. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    4,191
    I think I understand Alan’s interpretation of the text - it is what could, legally, be allowed. The worst case scenario if you had a woman and a doctor both willing to take advantage of the most extreme version of the law.

    it is the same type of worst case thinking that caused me to stand outside a fence and yell at a house while holding a misdirected package for twenty minutes. The fence has “no trespassing” signs, the yard has trump flags and POW and Vietnam vets and I know that the vet inside it is armed (always) and taking psychoactive medication (usually) My state has stand your ground laws. And when I finally got to hand the guy his package, he said “why didn’t you just come around the back? You can see the shop lights.” And he seemed genuinely shocked when I replied “I didn’t want you to shoot me.”

    I do not feel like my government protects me.
    What have you done today to make the world a better place?

  7. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,458
    If I believed the governments job was to protect others, it would support the rights of the EPA to regulate greenhouse gasses and other pollutants. But the Supreme Court is probably going to gut that. So I can not for one second take them seriously as protecting us in that case.
    Trees don't grow on money

  8. #138
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I guess you don't understand Republicans such as myself then. I think the primary objective of our federal government is to protect us from those who may wish us harm. Any government that wants to allow, if not encourage, a child to be killed the day before its natural birth is not only not doing its job, it's diametrically opposed to it's primary function.

    It seems obvious to me that lots of people don't understand the role of government, it's not to grant you any right you may desire, it's to protect others from the harm you wish to inflict upon them.
    I almost fell on the floor laughing.

    Guns don't kill anyone in this country thank goodness or Republicans would be all over gun control and banning. To protect others from inflicting harm on you.

    And that abortion the day before birth? Its called a c section and delivers a live baby. Do you think they are suffocated or stabbed to death in the delivery room?

    The logic makes no sense to me.

  9. #139
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,751
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    [/B]

    That is YOUR definition of government. Show me where it says it is to protect others....
    14th Amendment

    Section 1

    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  10. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    4,191
    Hmm, I see some issues here. A fetus has not been “born or naturalized” and we are making laws depriving women (whom I presume to be “person”s) of the privilege of health care.
    What have you done today to make the world a better place?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •