Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe vs. Wade.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Honestly, I think that there should be more strident feminists banging on clinic doors--it is our willingness to silence ourselves so as to not bring on the wrath of people like Catherine's neighbors that has brought us to this point. Why do we participate in our own destruction, to avoid male recrimination. I think women fear men, for good reason.
    I don’t see why we have to assign the burden to strident feminists and why would they be banging on clinic doors? It is up to reasonable responsible conservative and moderate women to say “cut the shit out. Cut it out. And here is why you will cut it out – because I will not vote for you. I’m having to cross party lines and vote for the idiots.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’ll see why we have to assign the burden to strident feminists and why would they be banging on clinic doors? It is up to reasonable responsible conservative women to say cut the shit out. Cut it out. In here is why you will cut it out – because I will not vote for you. I’m have to having to cross the party line and vote for the idiots.
    My "strident feminist" characterization was supposed to be a stereotype--probably ill-considered. But we need activists now more than ever.

All the pregnancy preventatives mentioned by IL are solely on the woman to follow through on - birth control shots, pills, IUDs. Odd to me that there aren't such things for the men in the picture other than condoms and vasectomies both which of course limit their freedoms.

I wanted to share the reply I got from my senator, Sen. Susan Collins, when I wrote to her on this topic:

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for protecting a woman’s right to make important reproductive decisions. I appreciate your taking the time to do so.
    I support codifying the abortion rights established by the U.S. Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade and affirmed by Planned Parenthood v. Casey. The Women’s Health Protection Act (WHPA), however, goes far beyond what is necessary to do that, and the bill has now been rejected twice in the Senate on a bipartisan basis.
    Contrary to claims from Senate Democratic leaders that their bill would not infringe upon the religious rights of individuals and religious institutions, the WHPA explicitly invalidates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act in connection with abortion. Congress has never before adopted legislation that contains an exemption to this religious liberty law, which was authored by Majority Leader Schumer when he served in the House and passed by overwhelming, bipartisan margins in 1993. The bill also supersedes other longstanding, bipartisan conscience laws, including provisions in the Affordable Care Act, that protect health care providers who choose not to offer abortion services for moral or religious reasons.
    Even though I voted against the WHPA, I am still committed to protecting abortion rights. That is why Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and I introduced legislation in February that would enshrine the important Roe and Casey protections into federal law without undercutting statutes that have been in place for decades and without eliminating basic conscience protections. Our bill, the Reproductive Choice Act, closely tracks the Supreme Court’s decisions in Roe and Casey and would provide reassurance to women that the reproductive rights they have relied upon for nearly 50 years will continue to be the law of the land. It does not include any of the extraneous and over-reaching provisions in the WHPA. You can view our bill by clicking here.
    I am committed to ensuring that women in this country have the right to make reproductive choices consistent with the Roe and Casey decisions, and I plan to continue working with my colleagues on legislation that would guarantee that right.
    Again, thank you for contacting me.
    Sincerely,
    Susan M. Collins
    United States Senator
    Circling back to this, I did notice that Susan Collins voted against the proposed women’s health protection act, and I’m glad to know her reasons about that Nay vote. I will have to think about this.

All the pregnancy preventatives mentioned by IL are solely on the woman to follow through on - birth control shots, pills, IUDs. Odd to me that there aren't such things for the men in the picture other than condoms and vasectomies both which of course limit their freedoms.
    Men couldn't be relied upon to take birth control. Even wearing a condom is too much for most.
    Trees don't grow on money

I also received answers from President Biden and Angus King. If anyone is interested, I will post them.

I also received answers from President Biden and Angus King. If anyone is interested, I will post them.
    Oh I don’t know, I’m not especially interested. But I was interested in Susan Collins’ response because she’s indicated she liked Roe vs Wade yet she voted against the women’s health initiative which seemed to me on my reading to be very very similar.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-15-22 at 9:10pm.

Understood; if anyone wants to know what they said, please let me know and I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Did Josh Hawley replace Claire McKaskill? OMG!
    Claire Bear has been gone for a while now. She only got into the Senate because she ran against an idiot who showed his ass during the election. But that said, I didn’t really mind her.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "I have not seen on this board personal opinions given on where the compromises should be, in my state for instance. It’s all “those dastardly Republicans are bad. “ So from that I have to conclude that everyone is OK with no restrictions on abortion whatsoever. Even though the general populace doesn’t have that opinion."

Where is it that there are no restrictions? Oregon, maybe? Roe v Wade--RIP--specified pre-viability, and the vast majority of abortions are performed in the first trimester. That old rightie talking point "abortion on demand" calls up visions of strident feminists banging on clinic doors,--purposely, to cast women in the worst possible light. Truly. misogyny is behind all this.
    There are no gestational restrictions in Colorado and New Mexico. The Guttmacher map is… Misleading in that regard. Hmmm, I guess not purposefully.

I knew Colorado allowed late term abortions because I watched a documentary about it.

Thread Information