Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe vs. Wade.....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My daughter is finishing up her Ph.D. this month at Cambridge. She will almost certainly not be returning to the USA. I may go join her at some point once my elderly parents pass away. I've already "packed my two bags" in the sense that I have housing and assets secured over there.
    I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." ~ 10th Amendment to the US Constitution

I interpret this to mean that since the Constitution says absolutely nothing about abortion, Congress would have to approach the subject from another angle, in much the same way if they don't care for how a state prosecutes a murder charge, they'll sometimes prosecute themselves using the charge of denying the victim's civil rights to life or liberty. Of course in this case I guess they'd first have to legislate a lack of civil right to life or liberty to the unborn. That might prove tricky.
    The "unborn," having not been born, is not a person.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Iím not a nihilist. Iím worse. Iím a federalist. I like it when the central government loses power not granted to it by the constitution. I dislike it when a president waves his scepter and extends an eviction moratorium even though he acknowledges at the time he probably lacks the legal power to do so.

If people were really worried about becoming Involuntary Handmaidís Tale cosplayers instead of just for hamfisted rhetorical effect, they would welcome decisions that limited the federal governmentís ability to impose its fiats on the country at large.

Bullshit! The majority of people in this country wanted to keep Roe vs Wade. trump packed the supreme court with religious zealots that are now upending this country.

“It’s a sad day for the court and for the country,” Biden said at the White House. He urged voters to make it a defining issue in the November elections, declaring, “This decision must not be the final word.”
    what will they do in return if voters made it the defining issue of the November election? Codify it in to law? Pity they can't do that now. Add seats to the Supreme Court?
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    GD trump packed the supreme court.. now the will of the majority of the people is not being honored.
    I wouldn't consider filling existing vacancies to be 'packing'. To me, court packing would be along the lines of Democrats fairly recent plan to increase the number of justices in order to get their preferred ideologues on board.

Plus, the will of the people will be honored through the democratic process in their respective states. That's how it should work.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    that's really incoherent. I mean yes states may have their own policies perhaps, but some people will be unfortunate enough to live in those states. Yes fine those states governments really suck. But all the people in them don't all somehow "deserve it".
    Wisconsin is one of those sucky states that has already stopped abortions. We have a democratic governor but, like Biden, is blocked at every turn trying to do the will of the people. Gerrymandering republicans etc....

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The "unborn," having not been born, is not a person.
    After several years of listening to others being chided by the 'party of science', I'd suggest we follow the science on this one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I wouldn't consider filling existing vacancies to be 'packing'. To me, court packing would be along the lines of Democrats fairly recent plan to increase the number of justices in order to get their preferred ideologues on board.
    trump stopped Garland from being put in position WHICH HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN. I hope the number of supreme court justices ARE increased to bring back a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    “It’s a sad day for the court and for the country,” Biden said at the White House. He urged voters to make it a defining issue in the November elections, declaring, “This decision must not be the final word.”

GD trump packed the supreme court.. now the will of the majority of the people is not being honored.
    In this case Trump WAS a conservative in that his court appointees seem to be bothered by making decisions not supported by the constitution. I did not often accuse DJ Trump of political conservatism, but here he was that.

Yes, I am surprised that these precedent court decisions were overturned because it doesn't happen real often.

The will of the people can fix this at a national level, you know. The constitution lays out a process for that.

After several years of listening to others being chided by the 'party of science', I'd suggest we follow the science on this one.
    I thought the Supreme Court said today that they were not weighing in on whether or not the unborn is a person worthy of constitutional rights, a person in the legal sense.

Thread Information