Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe vs. Wade.....

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Did you fall over? I guess something must be done to control these slutty women, who apparently get knocked up with no part played by the male of the species.
    And I would point out, just as a point of discussion, that when women play the “my body my choice only me just me only I get to decide about a pregnancy” As is the dominant social rhetoric, that is the environment they set up for themselves that keeps men out of it.

I really don’t think it’s that black and white, but I do think this view plays into to this whole complex area of human relations.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Misogyny permeates this whole issue. We were discussing the Roe V Wade overturn with a neighbor--I guy I do like. Very personable, nice guy. Well, his "reasoning" for the overturn was something like this:

Before abortion was legal, women were ashamed if they got knocked up. Now there is no shame anymore. Anything goes. So laws against abortion is a good way to keep women in check, i.e., keep her legs together. Make sure the consequences of sex will bring a healthy dose of shame.

I was dumbfounded. I'm paraphrasing but that's what he was saying. I don't think he's alone.
    Of course he's not alone. My assessment of his--IMO--hateful spew is that he's a closet misogynist at best. This is the kind of stuff I'd expect from the worst kind of Internet troll. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Of course he's not alone. My assessment of his--IMO--hateful spew is that he's a closet misogynist at best. This is the kind of stuff I'd expect from the worst kind of Internet troll. Ugh.
    I agree. I would not consider him a personable, nice guy anymore.

"I have not seen on this board personal opinions given on where the compromises should be, in my state for instance. It’s all “those dastardly Republicans are bad. “ So from that I have to conclude that everyone is OK with no restrictions on abortion whatsoever. Even though the general populace doesn’t have that opinion."

Where is it that there are no restrictions? Oregon, maybe? Roe v Wade--RIP--specified pre-viability, and the vast majority of abortions are performed in the first trimester. That old rightie talking point "abortion on demand" calls up visions of strident feminists banging on clinic doors,--purposely, to cast women in the worst possible light. Truly. misogyny is behind all this.

Honestly, I think that there should be more strident feminists banging on clinic doors--it is our willingness to silence ourselves so as to not bring on the wrath of people like Catherine's neighbors that has brought us to this point. Why do we participate in our own destruction, to avoid male recrimination. I think women fear men, for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Honestly, I think that there should be more strident feminists banging on clinic doors--it is our willingness to silence ourselves so as to not bring on the wrath of people like Catherine's neighbors that has brought us to this point. Why do we participate in our own destruction, to avoid male recrimination. I think women fear men, for good reason.
    What is that FLDS admonition? "Keep sweet?" I agree that women no longer have the luxury of demurring to men when it comes to our health and well-being. It's clear that not enough of them have our backs.

Misogyny permeates this whole issue. We were discussing the Roe V Wade overturn with a neighbor--I guy I do like. Very personable, nice guy. Well, his "reasoning" for the overturn was something like this:

Before abortion was legal, women were ashamed if they got knocked up. Now there is no shame anymore. Anything goes. So laws against abortion is a good way to keep women in check, i.e., keep her legs together. Make sure the consequences of sex will bring a healthy dose of shame.

I was dumbfounded. I'm paraphrasing but that's what he was saying. I don't think he's alone.
    no that's probably a lot of what is behind it. Mind you when these guys were young they would probably sleep with any woman who would have them. They, not women, were the ones super amped up on testosterone with sex as the main focus of their existence. But they project that on to women of course. Like the dog they always kick or something.

I can see theoretically restricting how late in pregnancy a woman can get an abortion (theoretically, I don't think there is any practical way to do that as you run into not being able to get an abortion for health of the mother reasons). But I absolutely refuse to base that on stages of a fetus development without considering have women been given an adequate chance to know they are pregnant and consider what they want to do about it. That's the priority.
    Trees don't grow on money

171 women got abortions after 21 weeks of gestation in Oregon in 2017. I'm not sure that fact tells us anything meaningful.

Did you fall over? I guess something must be done to control these slutty women, who apparently get knocked up with no part played by the male of the species.
    I nearly fell over, but I simply pointed out that women are the only ones who get shamed, and in the old days, sent away to convents or aunts for 9 months, while all men got was bragging rights.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    You are absolutely right. It takes two to tango - something some men including the above referenced neighbor don't seem to understand. Rob

Thread Information