Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe vs. Wade.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Roe vs. Wade.....

What a can of worms.....I bring up this topic not to discuss abortion or to.bring up controversy per se. My angle here is suppose R/W IS overturned - what will the potential fall out be? I personally believe there would be fall out, too.

Rob

Rob, Jeppy started a thread on this in early May.
    http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...842-Roe-v-Wade

As for as "what if it is overturned-what will the fall-out be" I think some of those issues are addressed in Jeppy's thread. I think the fall-out will be a deja-vu message that women's individual choice does not count. Even though individual choice is supremely important when it comes to owning guns and limiting taxes so that "what's mine is mine" is sacrosanct, women should have to give birth to no matter what the circumstances, or what the personal impact is on finances, career, family, and personal mental health.

Too often fathers forget "what's mine is mine" when it comes to unwanted live births
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

This book made quite an impression on me as a potential result of banning abortion and the societal practices that came about as a result.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Rob, Jeppy started a thread on this in early May.
    http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...842-Roe-v-Wade

As for as "what if it is overturned-what will the fall-out be" I think some of those issues are addressed in Jeppy's thread. I think the fall-out will be a deja-vu message that women's individual choice does not count. Even though individual choice is supremely important when it comes to owning guns and limiting taxes so that "what's mine is mine" is sacrosanct, women should have to give birth to no matter what the circumstances, or what the personal impact is on finances, career, family, and personal mental health.

Too often fathers forget "what's mine is mine" when it comes to unwanted live births
    Catherine, Thank You. I've been so busy until very recently that it's been hard to keep up. I will check out Jeppy's thread.

Rob

One thing I’m seeing from reading the trigger law for my state is that abortion is still allowed in my state, under this potential new law.

I am stating that very clearly, and without nuanced discussion, because I doubt that main stream media sources with their headline news will allow anyone to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    One thing I’m seeing from reading the trigger law for my state is that abortion is still allowed in my state, under this potential new law.

I am stating that very clearly, and without nuanced discussion, because I doubt that main stream media sources with their headline news will allow anyone to know that.
    Here is a very informative map answering Rob's question from a legal/political perspective.

https://www.plannedparenthoodaction....access-tool/US
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think that the fallout will be that states will have to begin nuanced discussions/debates about what point the new life created has a right to life. It will undoubtedly be controversial in each state as abortion on demand proponents refuse to acknowledge that life, and extreme pro life proponents argue that a fertilized egg equals a human being.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I wanted to share the reply I got from my senator, Sen. Susan Collins, when I wrote to her on this topic:

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for protecting a woman’s right to make important reproductive decisions. I appreciate your taking the time to do so.
    I support codifying the abortion rights established by the U.S. Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade and affirmed by Planned Parenthood v. Casey. The Women’s Health Protection Act (WHPA), however, goes far beyond what is necessary to do that, and the bill has now been rejected twice in the Senate on a bipartisan basis.
    Contrary to claims from Senate Democratic leaders that their bill would not infringe upon the religious rights of individuals and religious institutions, the WHPA explicitly invalidates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act in connection with abortion. Congress has never before adopted legislation that contains an exemption to this religious liberty law, which was authored by Majority Leader Schumer when he served in the House and passed by overwhelming, bipartisan margins in 1993. The bill also supersedes other longstanding, bipartisan conscience laws, including provisions in the Affordable Care Act, that protect health care providers who choose not to offer abortion services for moral or religious reasons.
    Even though I voted against the WHPA, I am still committed to protecting abortion rights. That is why Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and I introduced legislation in February that would enshrine the important Roe and Casey protections into federal law without undercutting statutes that have been in place for decades and without eliminating basic conscience protections. Our bill, the Reproductive Choice Act, closely tracks the Supreme Court’s decisions in Roe and Casey and would provide reassurance to women that the reproductive rights they have relied upon for nearly 50 years will continue to be the law of the land. It does not include any of the extraneous and over-reaching provisions in the WHPA. You can view our bill by clicking here.
    I am committed to ensuring that women in this country have the right to make reproductive choices consistent with the Roe and Casey decisions, and I plan to continue working with my colleagues on legislation that would guarantee that right.
    Again, thank you for contacting me.
    Sincerely,
    Susan M. Collins
    United States Senator

Here is a very informative map answering Rob's question from a legal/political perspective.

at first glance of this map I thought it was a good resource. But as I look at it carefully, I see that it is an opinionated piece, not surprising from Planned Parenthood.

So drilling down into my own state I will tell you that I live 3 miles from the abortion facility on Lindell Ave. Abortion is absolutely allowed in my state. The draconian ( according to Planned Parenthood) restrictions that cause it to be colored red on the map have to do with Who pays for it, a 72 two hour waiting ( Which I don’t like but I think would not stop me from getting an abortion) and the provision for minors need parental permission.

I don’t take an opinion on the minor thing because it’s just so damn complicated. There’s such a difference between a 13-year-old and a 17-year-old.

But I will tell you that Planned Parenthood is flat out WRONG in promoting the idea that in the state of Missouri “abortion in this state is likely to be banned or eliminated entirely.”

Perhaps they need to actually READ the trigger law.

This is why I no longer give money to Planned Parenthood… Their information sources are not accurate. Years ago they used to call me and try to scaremonger me to raise funds by invoking the name of the devil George Bush. I became tired of that. Then during the Obama years it was… I can’t remember, Because who was the devil then?But somewhere in there I gave up.

I once valued to some extent Planned Parenthood’s education efforts, but no longer.

to be clear, this map does not answer Rob‘s question. The map itself shows CURRENT abortion laws, with opinionated content to provide the color of the state.

There is text speculating what happens with each state if/when The Supremes overturn Roe v. wade. For my state that text is wrong. I have no reason to believe that it’s any more accurate for any other state.

As an aside I’m curious to know how Planned Parenthood distinguishes the two words “ banned” and “ eliminated “ both are used to describe a future Missouri.

Thread Information