Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe vs. Wade.....

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

Apparently, white supremacists are over the moon about this, as 60% of abortions are performed on white women. Next up, an assault on contraceptives.
    But, but....

Isn't the "white" population of the USA ~61.6%?

Of course anyone considering abortion realizes a potential human life is involved; what isn't sane, IMO, is declaring an embryo is equivalent to an infant. Or interfering in what is clearly a private, personal decision.
    49 of 50 Democratic Senators recently voted to override all state abortion laws and allow abortion for any reason up to the day of actual birth, even though that's only supported by approximately 10% of their base, showing that even the majority of those in favor of abortion realize the Senate wanted to allow killing babies. Abortion is always going to be a hot topic as long as they continue this foolishness, we're much better off leaving it to the states.

Apparently, white supremacists are over the moon about this, as 60% of abortions are performed on white women.
    I'm guessing that speculation is mis-stated as it doesn't make the point you're attempting. It would be more accurate to say that the original push to legalize abortion was a concerted effort to eliminate anyone deemed 'deficient' either by race or disability, and one of the ongoing pro-abortion arguments continues to be that it isn't fair to force (allow) minorities to give birth or children with potential disabilities to be born at all.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    ...and one of the ongoing pro-abortion arguments continues to be that it isn't fair to force (allow) minorities to give birth or children with potential disabilities to be born at all.
    Quite a change from the days when black women were bred like cattle in this country.

I report; you decide. I think Amy Coney Barrett has made similar statements. Personally, I'd leave my offspring on a mountaintop rather than consign them to the nouveau Nazis in this country.

"At a Saturday rally held by Donald Trump—i.e., a guy who kicked off his first bid for the White House by calling Mexicans rapists and criminals and whose entire brand is racism—Rep. Mary Miller said into the microphone: “President Trump, on behalf of all the MAGA patriots in America, I want to thank you for the historic victory for white life in the Supreme Court yesterday.” Then she clapped her hands as the audience cheered." If it was a Freudian slip, it was certainly in character, as Miller has praised Hitler in the past.

I'm guessing that speculation is mis-stated as it doesn't make the point you're attempting. It would be more accurate to say that the original push to legalize abortion was a concerted effort to eliminate anyone deemed 'deficient' either by race or disability, and one of the ongoing pro-abortion arguments continues to be that it isn't fair to force (allow) minorities to give birth or children with potential disabilities to be born at all.

The decision to terminate should be the sole purview of the woman involved; it's not "fair" to force anyone to carry a pregnancy to term.

I report; you decide. I think Amy Coney Barrett has made similar statements. Personally, I'd leave my offspring on a mountaintop rather than consign them to the nouveau Nazis in this country.

"At a Saturday rally held by Donald Trump—i.e., a guy who kicked off his first bid for the White House by calling Mexicans rapists and criminals and whose entire brand is racism—Rep. Mary Miller said into the microphone: “President Trump, on behalf of all the MAGA patriots in America, I want to thank you for the historic victory for white life in the Supreme Court yesterday.” Then she clapped her hands as the audience cheered." If it was a Freudian slip, it was certainly in character, as Miller has praised Hitler in the past.
    Yes, that was all over the news yesterday, presented pretty much the same as you have here. Though when I watched the video it seemed pretty apparent she stumbled a bit as she read her prepared remarks, resulting in what may have been the word 'white'. The POC in the crowd behind her seemed to realize that as they clapped and waved her campaign signs so I'll give that one the benefit of doubt.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, that was all over the news yesterday, presented pretty much the same as you have here. Though when I watched the video it seemed pretty apparent she stumbled a bit as she read her prepared remarks, resulting in what may have been the word 'white'. The POC in the crowd behind her seemed to realize that as they clapped and waved her campaign signs so I'll give that one the benefit of doubt.
    People seem primed to jump immediately to "outrage", "do not pass go" these days...

I suppose this is why we can't have nice things. Here in my local community, most anyone sane has been driven out by the attentions of the performative outrage dance troupes on "both" sides. I think governance has suffered grievously here as a result.

I hope outrage can be sustained long enough to get voters to the polls and spur activism on reproductive and other issues.

ETA: If women, particularly, aren't outraged, I don't honestly hold out any hope. We're heading down a dark, dark path. I guess cis white men can just bask in their privilege.

Right people should be outraged. And no not about nitpicking MTG speeches, who cares, this is mistaking the forest for an acorn. But it's what almost noone is actually outraged about either. So it's 99.99999% fictional. People are outraged about Supreme Court rulings. The biggest reason we can't have nice things right now is the Supreme Court (there are others).
    Trees don't grow on money

49 of 50 Democratic Senators recently voted to override all state abortion laws and allow abortion for any reason up to the day of actual birth, even though that's only supported by approximately 10% of their base, showing that even the majority of those in favor of abortion realize the Senate wanted to allow killing babies. Abortion is always going to be a hot topic as long as they continue this foolishness, we're much better off leaving it to the states.

Thought republicans such as yourself wanted NO government intervention or interference??? Or is this only for gun laws?

I don't understand why anyone should be forced to bring a defective child into the world for that matter. IMO it is the responsibility of the parent to determine if the being can be a functioning or beneficial member of society. To chain an individual or individuals to a lifetime of care seems barbaric IMO. I don't know if I am explaining this coherently but feel no one should have the right to make this determination except for those directly affected by the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Thought republicans such as yourself wanted NO government intervention or interference??? Or is this only for gun laws?
    I guess you don't understand Republicans such as myself then. I think the primary objective of our federal government is to protect us from those who may wish us harm. Any government that wants to allow, if not encourage, a child to be killed the day before its natural birth is not only not doing its job, it's diametrically opposed to it's primary function.

It seems obvious to me that lots of people don't understand the role of government, it's not to grant you any right you may desire, it's to protect others from the harm you wish to inflict upon them.

Thread Information