Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texting habits

I don't mind texting and like that it keeps me in contact with family - immediate and extended. Since everyone is on different schedules, in different time zones, etc., texting allows us to put something out there - keeping everyone up to date - while allowing each person to respond when they are able. And like KayLR, it is one of my kids' favorite method of communication, so I'll take it! lol
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I love texting and keep in touch with many people that way.

I was a big fan of e-mail when that first became a thing and only transitioned to texting when a younger friend, In his 20’s, not one of my dailies, got me in the habit of texting him. He would be really slow about responding to emails but texts would get a response the same day.

My preference for electronic communication stems from my first hob out of college. Box office manager for a large performing arts organization. That job required talking on the phone to patrons all day. Most were fine but a couple calls a day were upset people. It took years after I left that job to not cringe every time I heard a phone ring.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I was a big fan of e-mail when that first became a thing and only transitioned to texting when a younger friend, In his 20’s, not one of my dailies, got me in the habit of texting him. He would be really slow about responding to emails but texts would get a response the same day.

My preference for electronic communication stems from my first hob out of college. Box office manager for a large performing arts organization. That job required talking on the phone to patrons all day. Most were fine but a couple calls a day were upset people. It took years after I left that job to not cringe every time I heard a phone ring.
    After a series of deaths, diseases, and other tragedies, I began to flinch whenever I heard a phone ring--even on TV. So I disabled the ringer on my phone. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    After a series of deaths, diseases, and other tragedies, I began to flinch whenever I heard a phone ring--even on TV. So I disabled the ringer on my phone. Problem solved.
    I agree. Since I don't have anyone in my life currently who might call me needing immediate assistance for anything I have found that the do not disturb function on my iphone is awesome and should be used frequently. People can send a text or leave a voicemail when it's convenient for them. I'll read/listen to them and respond when it's convenient for me.

I have a landline that I use only for business, so I keep the ringer super low. I can't hear it unless I'm sitting right next to the phone. My kids like to call that phone because the cell signal is bad up here, so I often miss their calls, but I figure they can text me to ask me to call them from the landline. I'd rather do that than subject myself to loud rings from calls that are bound to be telemarketers.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'll keep my landline as its sound quality is reliably good and I don't have to worry about battery strength. It's certainly not "cost-effective." but that's OK.

We have Verizon DSL internet tied to our landline, so that is one good reason to keep our landline. We also don't really have any complaints about our internet service, while everyone else in town is constantly complaining about Comcast (the only other option around here).

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I agree. Since I don't have anyone in my life currently who might call me needing immediate assistance for anything I have found that the do not disturb function on my iphone is awesome and should be used frequently. People can send a text or leave a voicemail when it's convenient for them. I'll read/listen to them and respond when it's convenient for me.
    So, please explain to how this is just is different from email?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So, please explain to how this is just is different from email?
    I agree with jp1 about the DND function... I use it all the time in interviews. If my clients want to text me a follow-up question, I get it immediately but I don't get interrupted by phone calls

IL, the texts are much better at capturing your attention at the moment. An email is good if you don't mind waiting for people to get around to reading their email. They are also easier to use and faster to write. And the recipient will be much more likely to see it immediately and pay attention as opposed to being one message among many emails because usually texts come only from trusted contacts (although that is starting to change unfortunately).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information