Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened on Jan 6, 2021?

What happened on Jan 6, 2021?

Coup attempt? With or without any sort of support by elected officials or staff? Or military/police?

Tourists gone wild?

Nothing of concern? Or a deep danger to our nation?

Should anything be done as a result?

And so on.

Coup attempt instigated by FBI provocateurs, which is why they won't answer Ted Cruz's questions about it.

What should be done - clean house at the FBI for starters.

Coup attempt definitely instigated by The Former Guy. Traitors should be imprisoned.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Coup attempt. If it goes unpunished, it could mark the end of our system of laws.
    The DOJ is watching. I hope that's not all it does.

"We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore," he (Trump) said.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Coup attempt instigated by FBI provocateurs, which is why they won't answer Ted Cruz's questions about it.

What should be done - clean house at the FBI for starters.
    Hmm... that's a conspiracy theory I can't get behind. As the Dallas News said, "Cruz and others who promote the false flag theory have not explained why the FBI would be on both sides — hunting down rioters after encouraging sedition in an attempt prolong Trump’s presidency."

I think that the Cult of Trump see themselves as saviors (and Trump as JC himself) when it comes to preserving their notions of America, ie. a governance of White, Christian males, nostalgic for the old days when one could claim power by virtue of one's race and gender. I do believe that many of these CoT members have real and perceived losses they are trying to recoup, and acted out with the same emotional response that followers of Hitler did in the 30s.

They were stirred up when Trump gave noncommittal and implicit permission to storm the Capitol, and then the rioters saw themselves as Minute Men fighting for The People and I believe that while some had planned the attack, most impulsively got carried away with the moment.

I don't think anything is going to go much further than that, but I could be wrong. When people experience loss of identity, money and power, they start believing strange things. When those in power validate those strange beliefs (like scapegoating) and give sway to hostile attitudes, anything can happen. Trump has been a lightening rod for people like the ones who stormed the Capitol, and if he continues to exert influence, who knows what will happen next? We need to govern better.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What happened on Jan. 6 and the days heading up to it was Mike Pence was a hero, one of several in the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What happened on Jan. 6 and the days heading up to it was Mike Pence was a hero, one of several in the chain.
    I think this is often overlooked in the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think this is often overlooked in the noise.
    Giving Pence any credit doesn’t aid the prevailing narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Giving Pence any credit doesn’t aid the prevailing narrative.
    I've often thought he was one of the heroes--maybe unwillingly (kudos to Dan Quayle!)--and I suspect his actions on January 6th will prove to be the defining moment of his career. Especially his "I'm not getting in that car!" .

And I don't personally know anyone who doesn't acknowledge that fact.

I'm not sure exactly what happened that day other than to think that a mob mentality was developed within the crowd just as it did in dozens of other instances of rioting/vandalism/violence in other cities over the past several years. Trump didn't do himself any favors by encouraging the crowd to protest what he declared to be a stolen election, but I haven't heard any reputable accounts of him inciting violence any more than Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer did when he stood on the steps of the Supreme Court and declared something to the effect of "Kavanaugh, we're coming for you" prior to some yahoo from California travelling to Kavanaugh's house intending to assassinate him.

Back in the 70's when I went through mandatory riot control training, we heard a lot about the vagaries of group actions which are often triggered by one or more individuals in a crowd. 'Herd' or 'Mob' mentality often ensues, and I think that's probably the right answer to the question.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information