Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowest tide in ~20 years yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Beautiful photos of the shoreline. Did you take these somewhere in the Pacific Northwest?
    Yup, right on the US/Canada border in WA state.

What is your camera setup? The first photo the color saturation really makes the sky look blue. Wondering if it is the software or a filter?
    Thanks

"The bluest skies you've ever seen in Seattle
    And the hills the greenest green in Seattle"

(composed by Hugo Montenegro with lyrics by Jack Keller and Ernie Sheldon)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    What is your camera setup? The first photo the color saturation really makes the sky look blue. Wondering if it is the software or a filter?
    Thanks
    I just take RAW format files, usually with a Canon R5 or an iPhone, and pop them into Adobe Lightroom to "develop" the RAW image into something usable and crop as desired. I don't really apply "filters", but I adjust the exposure/contrast/color mapping, and generally aim at the color response of Fuji Velvia or one of the Kodak films, depending on the setting/lighting.

The sky really is darned blue here many days of the year. There's some magic weather where the Olympic Mountains, the Cascades, and the mountains on Vancouver Island skim off most of the bad weather/overcast, forming "The Blue Hole" over the islands.

Beautiful photos, but I feel sorry for the marine life! how long does it take for the tide to come back in? (I live in a flyover state, so...).
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Beautiful photos, but I feel sorry for the marine life! how long does it take for the tide to come back in? (I live in a flyover state, so...).
    The tide here generally changes roughly twice a day - two high/two low tide points each day. The normal tidal range from low-to-high is ~12 feet or so. A few times a year a couple feet more are added to that range from variations in the moon's orbit and local weather conditions.

Luckily, the creatures that live in the intertidal zone are adapted to this. The extra extra low tide days can sometimes catch critters unaware though, as the long slowly-sloping tidal flats can empty out rather suddenly.

Thread Information