Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What if trump isnít held accountable?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Sorry. I guess you were expecting me to suddenly have some damn federalist society epiphany and say ‘oh yes, the radical Supreme Court is the smartest court ever and I was wrong all along!!!’ That didn’t happen. But if your side isn’t willing to accept baby steps from someone like me then there will not be any ‘discussion’. We’ll simply keep yelling at each other to absolutely no effect.

And how on earth is it bad that I spoke positively about Alan’s family. My point, which I doubt you will ever get, just as you choose not to get any of my points, was that if more families were like Alan’s I’d be a lot less in favor of abortion on demand.
    JP, I can’t imagine telling anyone they should have an abortion. It’s hard to believe anyone here including you would do that in any situation, even if we might privately think someone “should “have an abortion as well as us thinking were we in that same situation, we would.

I guess that’s what I was thinking but it doesn’t matter at this point, I think you’re gonna continue to shout at me and wave your arms about so OK. You win.
    …..backing away….

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    JP, I can’t imagine telling anyone they should have an abortion. It’s hard to believe anyone here including you would do that in any situation, even if we might privately think someone “should “have an abortion as well as us thinking were we in that same situation, we would.

I guess that’s what I was thinking but it doesn’t matter at this point, I think you’re gonna continue to shout at me and wave your arms about so OK. You win.
    …..backing away….
    I canít imagine having a pregnant friend come to me for advice and not have enough respect for them to answer honestly whether I think they should abort the fetus. If they come to me for advice I will offer my honest opinion. If their family is like Alanís it may be different than it would be if they have no support network. But sure, Iím the ****ing dick that mentioned Alanís family in my post.

I watched the hearings yesterday and urge everyone to watch them tomorrow.

I hope that Trump is prosecuted at the end of this process.

I also wish we could have a national holiday named after the three women of the Moss family, Shay, her mother, and her grandmother.

I can’t imagine having a pregnant friend come to me for advice and not have enough respect for them to answer honestly whether I think they should abort the fetus. If they come to me for advice I will offer my honest opinion. If their family is like Alan’s it may be different than it would be if they have no support network. But sure, I’m the ****ing dick that mentioned Alan’s family in my post.
    I had a close family member tell me that I should abort, and my own pragmatic nature was definitely telling me I should. In the end, no one's advice mattered. I made my own decision, endured eye rolls as well my loved ones' concerns for my mental and physical health. If you are asked by a pregnant friend and family member for advice, you should simply refer the pregnant friend to the inner voices of their own heart and then refrain from giving any other well-meaning advice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So are you saying that you donít think the decision of whether or not to have an abortion should be made by a woman and her state legislature?
    Or a woman and some religious order.

And really--What the hell is "abortion on demand?" other than a hoary shibboleth.

I think that's true, Jane. I looked up a chart on abortion numbers around the world and I think we need to look at countries with lower rates, like Finland and Switzerland, which has 7 per 1000 pregnancies. Why can't we emulate their social policies and lower our rates?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I watched the hearings yesterday and urge everyone to watch them tomorrow.

I hope that Trump is prosecuted at the end of this process.

I also wish we could have a national holiday named after the three women of the Moss family, Shay, her mother, and her grandmother.
    How is it we now have an army of MAGA thugs that can be deployed at the whim of the Dear Leader to harass and threaten anyone who dares to "transgress?" And apparently, they do so with complete impunity.

Those women, who were just doing their duty as citizens, should be compensated handsomely for the hell they went through--and are still going through--at Trump's tiny hands.

And how on earth is it bad that I spoke positively about Alan’s family. My point, which I doubt you will ever get, just as you choose not to get any of my points, was that if more families were like Alan’s I’d be a lot less in favor of abortion on demand.
    Thank you for that, I do sincerely appreciate this but still have one thought about something no one ever mentions when we talk about abortion. The following pics are of my youngest grandson at various stages of life, he is an example of the specific thing missing in every abstract abortion discussion.

This is him at about 4 years as he helped with dinner:

This is him with his older, special needs brother and I having ice cream as we wait for Old Faithful's next scheduled eruption time at Yellowstone:

This is him having a silly string battle with his brother in my back yard.

And this is him a few years ago on his 18th birthday (he's 20 now)

His name is Joe and his ongoing life was only possible because my daughter refused to take the advice of 2 different medical professionals and a large part of our society's refusal to see him as a person. He is a living example of the abortion debate that no one wants to talk about, but we should.

Now, maybe we can get back on topic?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

"The following pics are of my youngest grandson at various stages of life, he is an example of the specific thing missing in every abstract abortion discussion."

He's obviously a valued member of your family, but I don't see the point of introducing anecdotal arguments into the discussion. Every woman has her own reasons and agency.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "The following pics are of my youngest grandson at various stages of life, he is an example of the specific thing missing in every abstract abortion discussion."

He's obviously a valued member of your family, but I don't see the point of introducing anecdotal arguments into the discussion. Every woman has her own reasons and agency.
    Just providing a face for the other person involved in the debate, the one that no one is willing to discuss.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information