Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What if trump isnít held accountable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What if trump isnít held accountable?

We started down this path when Nixon wasnít held to account for watergate. Then Reagan wasnít held to account for Iran/contra. Then Clinton wasnít held to account for lying about a consensual blowjob. Then baby bush wasnít held to account for lying us into a tremendously expensive unsuccessful war of choice.

If trump isnít held to account for attempting to overturn an election he knew he lost every future president will understand that there is absolutely no thing they could do for which they would have to fear accountability.

Sorry. I would have included Obama, carter, and ford in my list but as far as Iím aware the only ugliness from any of their three administrations is when ford pardoned Nixon.

Not that it is essential to your question, but I sincerely believe that Donald Trump sincerely believes he won the Presidential election. He did not/does not ďknow he lost.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Not that it is essential to your question, but I sincerely believe that Donald Trump sincerely believes he won the Presidential election. He did not/does not ďknow he lost.Ē
    I disagree. When someone calls up the secretary of state for one of the states they lost and says "I NEED YOU TO FIND ME 11,780 VOTES" it's quite clear that he knows he lost that state and that he wants the SOS to lie and cheat on his behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If trump isn’t held to account for attempting to overturn an election he knew he lost every future president will understand that there is absolutely no thing they could do for which they would have to fear accountability.
    What does accountability look like in your world? Loss of office? Loss of freedom? Loss of life? What would satisfy that persistent itch?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What does accountability look like in your world? Loss of office? Loss of freedom? Loss of life? What would satisfy that persistent itch?
    If the laws we have are not sufficient to put him in a spray tan matching jumpsuit for the rest of his life then we need more effective laws. Because it most assuredly should not be legal for someone to come up with a plan involving many many people to overturn the vote results of multiple states and then proceed to carry out that plan including encouraging a violent mob to kill one's vice president.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If the laws we have are not sufficient to put him in a spray tan matching jumpsuit for the rest of his life then we need more effective laws.
    I'm not in favor of creating/modifying laws to punish people you may not like. If successful, you may decide you don't like me later.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    How should traitors be treated? That is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    How should traitors be treated? That is the question.
    There is a legal framework for that transgression.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    There is a legal framework for that transgression.
    That legal framework failed on february 13, 2021 when the senate failed to convict him. Now we're stuck trying to fix this within the legal framework designed for common criminals. Maybe it will be up to the task despite this being an uncommon crime but I'm not holding my breath.

Thread Information