Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Costco shoppers

I need to get back to Costco, to get my eyeglasses adjusted. Haven't been in it since sometime around 2019 as when the pandemic hit, Costco was one of the places where a bunch of their help came down with covid. It was also where a lot of the elderly were going to shop, including my parents.
    Since Sam's is better for our business, I tended to hit Costco about once a year, around the time they had their pumpkin cheesecakes.

Costco is a little too much of an athletic event for me, but I admire them for having solid products and happy employees. Also, of course, they're a local company.

Viewing the shopping warehouses as an outer circle of hell as I do, I have no interest in shopping at Costco. I once sincerely tried to understand and develop an interest in Costco but I was unable to do it. For some years DH pay the membership fee to the Walmart version of the shopping warehouse and I can’t remember the name of it.

That was fairly stupid. But he probably was the one person in 1000 who made it work for him because he would go in to buy their loss leaders, primarily gallons of milk, and walk out without much else.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-21-22 at 3:26pm.

My local Costco is packed with people from opening to closing with larger crowds before Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July, and Thanksgiving weekend to New Year's. The lines are long and move quickly with employees managing lines and directing traffic in the parking lot during busy times.

I'm at Costco once every other month on average. If I'm in the neighborhood and have something on the Costco list, I'll stop by and grab it and a few other things. Buying one bottle of Costco brand seasonal allergy medication more than pays for the Costco fee. They also have good prices on glasses which I will need soon.

We go about once a month for specific items but buy gas there exclusively since it is the best price and close by. We spent over $100 once but that was for a toilet. Normally, we spend between $40-60. It is just interesting to me to watch consumer culture and reminds me of similar activity before the 2008 business. The kind of thing that makes you think everyone is flush with money but maybe much is put on a credit card.

I go there for prescriptions. I ask for the cash price or if they have coupons and it is almost always less than our $10 prescription copay for insurance. Checked with the local pharmacy and can't even come close. Also buy gas, frozen blueberries, seasoned wild salmon, clothes and a number of other things routinely. I could never understand how anyone would pay to shop but have found Costco to be beneficial. YLMV

I don't think there is one in Portland. We got one in Traverse City and we went once but were not enticed to join. We find the older we get, the farther we get from the bulk shopping paradigm. I think by the time we die we will be walking to the grocery store once a day with those little string bags, like people in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I don't think there is one in Portland. We got one in Traverse City and we went once but were not enticed to join. We find the older we get, the farther we get from the bulk shopping paradigm. I think by the time we die we will be walking to the grocery store once a day with those little string bags, like people in Paris.
    Haha! Buying only the amount you can carry for the day has its attractions.

yesterday I grocery shopped for three kitchens which is where we are at right this moment. That is complex and is making my brain hurt. But I had to buy many things for the condo and hauling them up on the elevator was interesting. The elevator holds a cart to use, so I got them up all in one trip. Then I had to separate out things and take them to our city house kitchen. And then I had to put a couple things in a box to go to Hermann.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Viewing the shopping warehouses as an outer circle of hell as I do, I have no interest in shopping at Costco. I once sincerely tried to understand and develop an interest in Costco but I was unable to do it. For some years DH pay the membership fee to the Walmart version of the shopping warehouse and I can’t remember the name of it.

That was fairly stupid. But he probably was the one person in 1000 who made it work for him because he would go in to buy their loss leaders, primarily gallons of milk, and walk out without much else.

In Missouri, for Years, it was Walton's wholesale club, due to another company having the Sam's name. Once they closed, they rebranded to the Sam's club they are nationally.

We went to Costco Sunday, and I made an impulse purchase of prepared shrimp cocktail - enormous - for $15. Sun night we had shrimp cocktail for supper and fresh Italian bakery bread. Mon after Clay School I had shrimp for lunch (steak tips and sweet potatoes for supper). Tues I made a large salad and DH ate his with leftover steak and I ate mine with shrimp of course. Yesterday, which was the shrimp sell-by date, I ate more salad and the last of the shrimp.
    I would consider four days of shrimpy goodness for $15 quite a bargain, and I think I might make this a regular purchase on our Costco trips. It was also quite good for prepared shrimp, which is often mushy and flavorless.

Thread Information