Thread: Beyond Incremental Change, Let's Make Excremental Change

Beyond Incremental Change, Let's Make Excremental Change

The New York Times 6/19/2022 edition had a feature, "Meet the Peecyclers"... folks in Vermont and Niger.

http://richearthinstitute.org/wp-con...n_DIYGuide.pdf

Yay, Vermont! I heard about urine as fertilizer in my permaculture class 10 years ago. I found it so interesting I read up on it. It makes sense, and particularly in the context of the shortage of fertilizer worldwide. For now, I'm going to use traditional organic fertilizers, but I would definitely consider peecycling if the situation demanded it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Ha, I'll have to tell DH he did good last night when grandson was taking a shower when DH had to "go." (We have a private backyard & lots of trees.)

So, my permaculture teacher posted on Facebook a picture of a hugelkuter raised bed he made and then he posted:

One of our latest raised beds garden install.... We do hugel kultur on the bottom ten inches and build them out of rot resistant local wood and then with high quality local compost and our own blends of amendments like some of my favorites, dried kelp, greensand, rock dust, azomite and colloidal clay.

Then I encourage my clients to fertilize with their own urine, every two weeks from a watering can mixed with rain water, ideally. Urine is a vastly underutilized, easily available fertilizer with a great NPK balance when mixed ten parts water to one part urine and your own urine is sterile and safe for fertilizing your garden and safe for application to edible crops of all kinds, urine has no fecal coliform or e.coli to worry about.

So there you have it. Why spend money on N-P-K fertilizer like MiracleGro when you have free on-demand fertilizer available to you 24/7?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information