Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Texas nation?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

A Texas nation?

I've read this can not realistically happen as the Civil War supposedly established that states do not have the right to secede.

So two questions. If Texas DID try to secede - violent attempts by the Federal Government to stop such? How inflammatory would that be to far righters throughout the US? More Jan 6th like acts?

And what would a Texas nation look like, if it happened? I, of course. realizing I'm unwelcome there would steer clear. Ironically I would choose the United States over a Texas Nation.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I've read this can not realistically happen as the Civil War supposedly established that states do not have the right to secede.

So two questions. If Texas DID try to secede - violent attempts by the Federal Government to stop such? How inflammatory would that be to far righters throughout the US? More Jan 6th like acts?

And what would a Texas nation look like, if it happened? I, of course. realizing I'm unwelcome there would steer clear. Ironically I would choose the United States over a Texas Nation.

Rob
    Texas has the jump on this since they actually were an independent nation from 1836-1845. So there is a precedent. Don't know if that matters.

The UN recognizes the rights of peoples to political self determination.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The UN recognizes the rights of peoples to political self determination.
    Apparently such wisdom does not apply to the US Supreme Court nor Federal Government.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Texas has the jump on this since they actually were an independent nation from 1836-1845. So there is a precedent. Don't know if that matters.
    I've been to the Texas History Museum in downtown Austin before. They have an interesting progression of Texas history including it's time as an independent nation. Interesting to think there may be the slightest chance of a repeat.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think it does matter. We've never really gotten into the weeds of the whole secession problem because our government was reluctant to force the issue in post Civil War times because they were afraid they'd lose the argument after using overwhelming brute force to achieve the result it wanted during the war. Jefferson Davis was never prosecuted for treason because there was a fear that in attempting to do so, it would be found that secession was legal and once done he was no longer a citizen of the US and therefore could not be found guilty.

There is a school of thought that any state that was once a self governing entity which then voluntarily joined the United States could change it's mind if it wished. I believe that covers just the original 13 states plus Texas and Hawaii as the other states were created by federal fiat.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it does matter. We've never really gotten into the weeds of the whole secession problem because our government was reluctant to force the issue in post Civil War times because they were afraid they'd lose the argument after using overwhelming brute force to achieve the result it wanted during the war. Jefferson Davis was never prosecuted for treason because there was a fear that in attempting to do so, it would be found that secession was legal and once done he was no longer a citizen of the US and therefore could not be found guilty.

There is a school of thought that any state that was once a self governing entity which then voluntarily joined the United States could change it's mind if it wished. I believe that covers just the original 13 states plus Texas and Hawaii as the other states were created by federal fiat.
    Something you might find interesting Alan - I would choose the US over fleeing to Texas to become part of a new Texas nation. Ironic, no?

Rob

What process is used, in general, to decide which group of people, within which lines on the map, get to be a "country"?

What is a "country"?

I lump those people who talk about secession in the same pile as those who talk about emigrating but never do it.

If it isn't obvious, I suspect it's just rhetoric to express dissatisfaction. They would probably be content if the president was a Trump like figure, or a Republican for that matter. It does get the imagination going, like fewer red electoral votes and seats in Congress. Maybe there is a legal loophole where they could be annexed by Mexico without secession (sort of joking).
    Last edited by Rogar; 6-23-22 at 2:10pm.

Thread Information