Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: First Peony Brought In

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Price County, WI
    Posts
    1,687

    First Peony Brought In

    This afternoon I brought the first fragrant peony blossom indoors from my garden. There are about eight more peony blossoms being drummed on by the black ants.

    The afternoon sunlight was indescribably pleasing to my eye. I hoped my camera could capture the transcendental effect.
    000_0644 (2).jpg

    000_0643 (2).jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,091
    Beautiful! I love them and the way their fragrance comes in through an open window, or perfumes the house when brought inside. Mine have all gone by now. I don't love the big mess they make when the blossoms shatter and fall apart, but it's worth it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    21,961
    They are wonderful! I’m so glad that deer have been completely ignoring all of my peonies.

    Sadly my peonies get secondary attention because they bloom during Iris season and I’m so busy focusing on iris that I barely see the peonies.

  4. #4
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,321
    I love peonies! Nice picture, dado. I have two peonies that I "inherited" when I bought this house, but the previous owners placed them under a Montmorency cherry tree along with raspberry brambles, so it's a mess under there, and the peonies are completely overshadowed. Has anyone ever had success transplanting mature peonies? We've tried to get rid of the raspberries, but we haven't completed the job, apparently. I could maybe prune the cherry tree lower limbs a bit.

    Funny story about peonies... we had a beautiful peony bush alongside the front door path in New Jersey. But we called it a pee-on-me because our dog at the time would always make the peony his first stop on his morning walk. Thank goodness the plant survived it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,413
    They are beautiful!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  6. #6
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    21,961
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I love peonies! Nice picture, dado. I have two peonies that I "inherited" when I bought this house, but the previous owners placed them under a Montmorency cherry tree along with raspberry brambles, so it's a mess under there, and the peonies are completely overshadowed. Has anyone ever had success transplanting mature peonies? We've tried to get rid of the raspberries, but we haven't completed the job, apparently. I could maybe prune the cherry tree lower limbs a bit.

    Funny story about peonies... we had a beautiful peony bush alongside the front door path in New Jersey. But we called it a pee-on-me because our dog at the time would always make the peony his first stop on his morning walk. Thank goodness the plant survived it!

    Catherine, I divide my peonies all the time. Regularly. If you can dig out a root piece, it will be fine when replanted. With peonies you have to be careful not to plant them too deeply, they really are kind of picky about where they sit in the soil.

  7. #7
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,321
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Catherine, I divide my peonies all the time. Regularly. If you can dig out a root piece, it will be fine when replanted. With peonies you have to be careful not to plant them too deeply, they really are kind of picky about where they sit in the soil.
    Thank you! I will definitely transplant them, then.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  8. #8
    Member miteigenenhaenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    35
    I just got confused and looked at the date you wrote the article. Now I've learned something new. It must be a lot colder where you live than it is here.
    Our peonies bloomed between Easter and Pentecost.
    You have to be willing to do the things others will never do in order to have the things others will never have.
    -unknown-

    www.miteigenenhaenden.de

  9. #9
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    13,321
    Ours just finished blooming a week or so ago! Our latitude is 44.7225 N. Interestingly, being on the lake and facing north, our flowers bloom about a week or two after the same varieties of flowers at the post office, just 1.5 miles south.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    21,961
    Quote Originally Posted by miteigenenhaenden View Post
    I just got confused and looked at the date you wrote the article. Now I've learned something new. It must be a lot colder where you live than it is here.
    Our peonies bloomed between Easter and Pentecost.
    Yes, Dado is pretty far north. In my quest to get judging credits for Iris shows this year, I had to travel evermore northward in late May and early June to hit peak iris bloom in states north of me. The latest Midwest show was June 11 in the Twin Cities but I didn’t go to that one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •