Thread: More facebook creepiness

More facebook creepiness

So, a few months ago the skin doc found a concerning mole. She did a new, non-surgical procedure where she used some kind of tape to remove just a bit of the surface to be sent for biopsy. Today Blue Cross sent me a denial of coverage because they asked the doc for more info on why this test was needed but didn't get a response. Also today facebook served up an ad for a law firm that deals with denied medical claims... Before now I've not mentioned this online with the exception of texting a couple of people about it on iMessage, so there isn't any online record of any of this.

So, did you contact the doc's office?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    So, did you contact the doc's office?
    Will be doing that first thing tomorrow. But who knows, maybe Facebook already has done it for me. 😜

Do you have Facebook on your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Do you have Facebook on your phone?
    No. I deleted it a couple years ago because I was spending too much time on it. Now I only go to it on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No. I deleted it a couple years ago because I was spending too much time on it. Now I only go to it on my computer.
    So what’s the percentage in your mind of the doctor’s office leaking to some online source VS. Random coincidental Facebook ad?

I realize the doctor’s office may not have leaked it deliberately. Or they may not be responsible at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I bet it didn't all delete and it uses the network information to determine you were at your computer. I don't remember the term but something like persistent cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So what’s the percentage in your mind of the doctor’s office leaking to some online source VS. Random coincidental Facebook ad?

I realize the doctor’s office may not have leaked it deliberately. Or they may not be responsible at all.
    It is certainly possible that the doc's office, or the pathology lab, etc, may have had a breach. Probably one in ten companies for which I see cyber insurance submissions has had some kind of breach so this wouldn't be a surprise. That facebook would be collecting that breached data or worse, actively seeking it out would be a surprise. And it's certainly also possible that this is just a coincidence. After all, how many ads has facebook served up to me that I've ignored because they weren't relevant to me in any way.

All in all I suppose this is less creepy than the time that facebook recommended my long ago, NJ eye doctor as a potential friend. That at least made sense though. They tie people's phone numbers together in a ginormous web to find commonalities.

Thread Information