Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: July Frugals

July Frugals

This month will be a challenge.

I set myself a goal of $1500 and my real estate taxes are a little over $900.

Phone should be $21.23, TV/internet $85.03, and the utilities and water/sewer will not be due until mid August so those I can push. That leaves a little under $500 for everything else.

If gas continues to fall in price and I don't spend a lot on food it is not impossible. My mother's love language is feeding people and she keeps talking about the produce from her garden she wants to give me.

More likely I will go over (something I allow myself to do four times per year). In that case I will shoot to stay at or below my average monthly spending since I started tracking it, which is $2252.

I scored the perfect thing on Facebook marketplace: matching twin beds for $210 that are very pretty vintage spool beds. They come with the entire kit, boxsprings and mattresses. I’ve been watching marketplace on Facebook for months and had to pass by two other sets I liked well enough but it wasn’t time to buy them for our Hermann guestroom. This lined up as being the perfect product at the perfect price at the perfect time.

Old sets of twin beds are not especially popular these days, but yet when you find a nice set on the local websites they go pretty fast. This one is extraordinarily nice.

Got lettuce, tomatoes, a summer squash, peas and Swiss chard from my parents' garden.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I scored the perfect thing on Facebook marketplace: matching twin beds for $210 that are very pretty vintage spool beds. They come with the entire kit, boxsprings and mattresses. Iíve been watching marketplace on Facebook for months and had to pass by two other sets I liked well enough but it wasnít time to buy them for our Hermann guestroom. This lined up as being the perfect product at the perfect price at the perfect time.

Old sets of twin beds are not especially popular these days, but yet when you find a nice set on the local websites they go pretty fast. This one is extraordinarily nice.
    That sounds very pretty. I think this is a great solution for a guest room. Much more flexible.

Yesterday my DB gave us a stack of lightly used foam insulation board, which will be very useful around the house and barn. Hoping to start poking it about this week. Then our trash-picked tower fan stopped working yesterday, and I was bummed - I hate summer, it's been stinkin' hot, and we only have air in the bedrooms- and DH managed to convince it to work again. (He's going to try to clean it and oil the shaft later, he got it going using our old standby "give it a good thump" technique, lol).

IL, those beds sound lovely.

A no drive, no spend day.

Yesterday I kept the groceries to $40.

When we bought DH's new vehicle last year, it came with 6 free months of Sirius radio, and then we got another 6 months for $6 per month special pricing. That is expiring, and it was about to go up to $22 a month. The thing is that DH loves it and listens to it on his phone all the time as well as in the car. I had a hard time with the idea of trying to negotiate, since I wasn't really willing to walk away and hollow threats aren't my thing. However, I "chatted" with Sirius customer service, and they very quickly offered to give us another year at the $6 per month price, so that was a success.

Used another grocery coupon for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more and kept my expense to $40 and some change for the week.

Wow Jeppy, that is really low for groceries. We've been spending a lot on food.

RR my parents are giving me things from their garden.

When I had Sirius they would always negotiate down but then every couple months they would add another $1 fee to the bill so it crept up again.

Thread Information