Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Independence Day

We usually spend July 4th each year on the road, exploring the various states and being thankful that we were lucky enough to be born in this great country. For the past 10 years or so we've always updated our Facebook status on July 4th with a picture of us, our RV, our dog and an American flag while wishing all our family and friends a wonderful Independence Day. I guess I should do it here too.

Today, we're in northern Ohio, Amish Country, and here's a few of those pics:

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Who dat canine?

That's Dottie, a currently 13 year old, overweight and grumpy Min Pin.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

This is from a Facebook post. Someone painted their dried garden alliums red white and blue. Cheap fun! Love it.

a!1A5685DB-47BD-4196-9116-BD7D70AF5C79.jpg F2795D19-E881-49B8-BDBE-65359CA7FB50.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    And I pity those who listen and believe all the lies the past administration (and their current ilk) spew. Pity the sheep.
    I think that viewed in the greater sweep of history, the current situation will rank with Shay’s Rebellion or the Bonus March. Certainly not worth abjuring my favorite holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think that viewed in the greater sweep of history, the current situation will rank with Shay’s Rebellion or the Bonus March. Certainly not worth abjuring my favorite holiday.
    Those were not considered coups and not viewed in the same vein. Keep looking for rationalizations. You will find none. As I said, pity the sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Those were not considered coups and not viewed in the same vein. Keep looking for rationalizations. You will find none. As I said, pity the sheep.
    Depends on the herd you run with. Trump is a liar and prone to hysteria, as are many of his enemies. I don’t feel any particular need to side with one or the other. Neither side seems able to conceive of a third or fourth or fifth viewpoint. That something can be pretty bad but not an “existential threat”.

Neither side strikes me as worth the level of panic they express, and neither side has me convinced the continued existence of the United States is not worth celebrating. So I will enjoy a few beers and a nice slab of scorched meat with my ilk and decline the invitation to freak out.

For myself, I have to say I love this country warts and all. I sort of pity the souls who can only see warts.
    I think the parents of the pregnant 10-year-old in Ohio might think warts is putting it a little too mildly. It was challenging this year, but the bottom line is that I do love the country if not all the people in it, especially those who seem inclined to transform us into some sort of Christian theocracy.

Depends on the herd you run with. Trump is a liar and prone to hysteria, as are many of his enemies. I don’t feel any particular need to side with one or the other. Neither side seems able to conceive of a third or fourth or fifth viewpoint. That something can be pretty bad but not an “existential threat”.

Neither side strikes me as worth the level of panic they express, and neither side has me convinced the continued existence of the United States is not worth celebrating. So I will enjoy a few beers and a nice slab of scorched meat with my ilk and decline the invitation to freak out.
    Not worth looking for but I remember you recently said you were considering voting for trump... which surprised me a little. So, changing your mind? And, obviously you have not been watching the hearings or you would be thinking differently. You bet what has been going on is truly a threat to the continued existence of the US as we previously have known it. The country is going down the wrong path and that is not something to celebrate. It is time to wake up and "freak out" before it is too late to do anything about the travesties being committed. You might want to read up on how Hitler got into power??

I celebrated with a couple of beers and an Impossible burger. I've had some luck and privilege in my life that has allowed me to pursue some dreams, including early retirement. But I also attribute some of my good fortune to the freedoms and opportunities our political structure and economic systems have allowed. It's not perfect and maybe not the best country in the world, but it's still pretty good. I sometimes have trouble separating nationalism from humanism and there are versions of flag worship that beyond my reasoning.

Thread Information