Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does "Simple Living" mean in the forum's title?

What does "Simple Living" mean in the forum's title?

Hello - I couldn't decide on a forum to post this very general question in, so I thought, "ah! Open forum!" Sorry if I chose poorly.

I'm just curious on the history of philosophy of this forum. I've been coming and reading it once in a while, I'm certainly not a regular, but I still come back maybe a few times every few weeks.

I was initially attracted to the forum's title: "Simple Living," mostly because I'm hoping to de-complicate my life, rid myself of clutter and hopefully live more peacefully overall.

Is that sort of what the "Simple Living" in the forum's title refers to? Or has the forum evolved over time?

Just curious. Thanks!

It means different things to each of us, I think.

The origin might have come from the book "Your Money or Your Life" Summary here, with apologies if this is not permitted please remove : https://yourmoneyoryourlife.com/book-summary/

The group is diverse and we share what it means to us as we navigate through our lives.

As you can tell, some of our favorite discussion topics are already laid out in the different flavored forums.

I always think of it as a "rat race" thing. As in, not being part of it if we don't want to be. Alternatives to keeping up with the Jones's, etc. I think it was originally based on Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin's book Your Money or Your Life. It's evolved over time, and been hosted on several sites. For me, it also brings to mind the quote "live simply, so others may simply live" - there's a bit of that ethos here too, I think. But really, it's whatever you take from it, isn't it?

Ewomack, I like your concept of leading a peaceful life that includes not being in service to objects—hence, decluttering is important.

That’s where I am. My simple life may not be frugal and that is ok. I try to focus on people and activities that enhance my life. It is true that currently I am doing a hell of a lot of shopping, but I make sure it’s fun and I do not want to buy cheap schlock from China. I enjoy the hunt, My “stuff” is highly curated. Or so I tell myself, haha!

Simple living has evolved for me, I think. Originally it was to live simply and be frugal so I could retire. Now simple living is having less so I can enjoy life more. I want less to take care of. I never had a large desire for things but adventures. That has not changed.

Someone on the Forum recently said it quite well, but I cannot remember who or when. As well as I can paraphrase, it was something along the lines of being willing to examine one's life and strip away the things that are not important and do not give adequate value in order to focus on those things that truly are meaningful.

That's such a great definition.

When I started it was mostly financial and I needed to conserve and be frugal. Now I'm pared down because I like it and pretty much a minimalist and constantly work to evaluate my possessions. I'm frugal in some areas but don't hesitate to spend on something quality when needed/wanted. I loved leaving the "rat race" and my homebody desires were certainly answered with the pandemic. It also showed us how little we really needed to be happy.

I prefer to focus on people and experiences versus things. I only have things in my home that I love.

As far as the history goes, this particular forum had its genesis in a site hosted by Dave Wampler, who called it Simple Living Network. In addition to the website, he sold books and other simple living accoutrements, like posters and stuff, and he published a newsletter and articles on a regular basis. The philosophy was a build off of the book Your Money or Your Life and was loosely associated with The New Road Map Foundation.

The discussion board was very lively, so when he decided to shut down the site in 2010, the simple living discussion board community carried it forward by changing the name, but pretty much sticking together.

There was an article published in the Washington Post 1994 about the simple living network and its mission, along with quoting other members of "the movement." https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-083ff97323c2/

In that article, there's a quote that sums up the answer to your original question:

"It's a lot of people wanting to live saner lives...People basically are looking in one way or another for more meaning, wanting to slow down and get a more purposeful life. Maybe the pendulum is swinging back. Maybe people like myself are realizing there are long-term and sometimes devastating impacts to what we do in life."

Some of us were part of that original discussion board and of course many people have joined, come, gone, and stayed. What I like about it is we are very different in many ways, but we have this one thing in common--to make the most of our lives with out the distractions of running on the earn/spend treadmill.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information