Thread: What Should I consider?

What Should I consider?

Hi all. Back in August my husband and I relocated to another part of the country. We moved from New Hampshire to North Carolina. In doing that move we sold our home and shifted to apartment living. We really like apartment living and are not looking to change.

I know what we did as home owners living in NH. We did to prepare for emergencies back in NH such as blizzards, loss of power that lasted a couple of weeks , ice storms etc. But things are different here. We can't hook up a generator, nor do we have the space for food storage.

What suggestions do you all have for emergency preparedness for apartment dwellers? Is it just a bug out bag and cash? or is there something else we should consider. Also what would you keep in your car? Also what things should I be aware of for this region of the country, that I may not be aware of.

Thanks

Yppej
    What part of North Carolina are in you in? If the mountains you can get ice storms, if on the coast hurricanes.

In my car, I keep those items that would keep me comfortable if I had to wait for a tow truck and a few items for emergencies for me or others. I have a spare blanket and a space blanket, small tools, duct tape, first aid kit, some currency, an esbit stove and cup, tarp and rope, water bottle and purification, hat, wool socks and mittens, sneakers. In the house, its backup lighting, food and water, solar shower (we have a well so when the power goes out, so does the water), extra tarp in case of roof leak or broken window. Food can be kept in plastic boxes that fit under your bed. I use to keep "emergency food" but now its just our normal food. In addition to the esbit stove, we can also use the grill for cooking, and if it is in the winter we have a wood stove that we can use for heating up food. I have a couple of power banks to recharge electronics. Some of my emergency gear is also used for camping, and its all in a couple of plastic totes.

In some of our local weather related extremes renters have been caught without renters insurance.

I did this post a few years back. Might give you some ideas.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...condo-dwellers

Thread Information