Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: harvest 2022

Container cucumbers are making their appearance!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I gleaned all the ripe and green tomatoes off the last of the tomato plants. Have two trays on/under newspaper to see if they will ripen and some of the little yellow ones (very ripe) on the dehydrator. Only things left growing are a couple of carrots and the squash plants. The squash is going wild with growing and blooms, but not harvest-able squash yet. I can't wait as this is the best squash I've ever had!

Going to try to start some "garbage" lettuce inside. First attempt failed on the transplant to the pot of soil.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My garden harvest is done for the year.

A friend called with a request to harvest MacIntosh apples from their trees, because her husband is in hospital being treated for leukemia. So, I had a great afternoon. I have a hunch the deer were watching my every move. I tossed any bird-pecked apples into the long grass. As soon as I was 140 feet from the tree the white tails were dining on some apples!

Each bushel increased my respect for the braceros who have picked apples in the USA since the 1920s. If the going rate now is 75 cents per bushel, they earn it! Damn.

Cleaning out the butternut squash area, in anticipation of the hard freeze. Lots of green in the new compost bin. Still a few that I hope will turn color. Processing squash everyday, usually butternut and cushaw. Harvesting poppy heads for growing poppies next year. Had a great year with my heirloom poppy that I got out in Michigan at a heritage farm at the national park when they were selling them about five years ago. Gorgeous flower.

Was hoping my collards would bloom and go to seed but no go. These are a big favorite of mine, as the seeds are descendants of a collard that got resurrected from the garbage; I planted the leftover end and I've had ten years of collards from that one plant. I've still got seeds from prior years, but I like to get new ones every year.

pinkytoe,

If you have details for the record, you might consider reporting the hit-and-run on your peach tree to FedEx Corporate. Can you put a monetary value on the loss of peaches? I am not suggesting a lawsuit, but rather a reasonable and cordial process of complaint and compensation for your loss. Internet search gives me to understand the current price of peaches is 99 cents per lb., and the U-Pick price is $13 per half bushel

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Limes, figs, and Armenian cucumbers here at Casa Rob.

Planning to plant for the cooler months when I can grow what many of you plant in the Summer. Beets, kale, turnips, squash, and radishes.

LIMES and FIGS What a treat, Rob.

We are eating a lot of fried green tomatoes.

We had a very good year for tomatoes and our freezer is full of bags of tomatoes.

Thread Information