Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: harvest 2022

Today I preserved a mix of different berries and fruits (raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, blackberries, cherries, red currants, black currants).

IMG_7368.jpg
    You have to be willing to do the things others will never do in order to have the things others will never have.
    -unknown-

www.miteigenenhaenden.de

I am jealous of all the fruit! Yum!

my harvest today was a few carrots, a couple of cucumbers, and an onion. There is other stuff ready, but it can stay in the garden.

I’m about to chop up all the green beans, blanch them, and get them in the dehydrator with some salt, oil, and cayenne.
    What have you done today to make the world a better place?

Quote Originally Posted by miteigenenhaenden View Post
    Today I preserved a mix of different berries and fruits (raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, blackberries, cherries, red currants, black currants).

IMG_7368.jpg
    beautiful!

Does anybody make elderberry jam here? We have mini mini wild elderberries going around here. We have an elderberry in our yard even.

I would use some for a tincture to ward off flu and colds. I buy elderberry dried because the spots where I used to get them are no longer.

Elderberry jam sounds lovely.

I make elderberry jelly and elderberry juice.
    Elderberry jelly is easy: you boil the berries in some apple juice. Drain the berries in a cloth overnight, catching the juice.
    The next day, add pectin, sugar and lemon juice and finish cooking the jelly.

Besides wine and sparkling wine, elderflowers can also be used to make other good things. See here and here.
    You have to be willing to do the things others will never do in order to have the things others will never have.
    -unknown-

www.miteigenenhaenden.de

Quote Originally Posted by miteigenenhaenden View Post
    I make elderberry jelly and elderberry juice.
    Elderberry jelly is easy: you boil the berries in some apple juice. Drain the berries in a cloth overnight, catching the juice.
    The next day, add pectin, sugar and lemon juice and finish cooking the jelly.

Besides wine and sparkling wine, elderflowers can also be used to make other good things. See here and here.
    great ideas here! These will resonate with my husband because he grew up with Swiss – German food techniques because his mother was from Switzerland. One time when our garden was open for tour someone walked in to our yard, looked at his vegetable garden and remarked “you’re German aren’t you?” because there was something about how he was planting and what he was planting that was clearly of the German tradition.

He made a “ canning kitchen” in the basement of our renovated cottage, so I am Looking forward to things he prepares there.

I wonder what it is that Germans are recognized all over the world. ����

A canning kitchen s wonderful!
    -unknown-

www.miteigenenhaenden.de

This morning I harvested 26 hard-neck garlic plants, variety "Zemo". I snipped off roots, rinsed them with a garden hose, and set them out to dry in a ventilated shed. These were planted on Oct 11, 2021.

I plan to set aside 3-4 of the largest bulbs, and plant cloves from those bulbs on the second Monday of October 2022.

For the rest, I plan to cut the stems off after they have dried, bag the bulbs in a mesh bag, and hang it on the sunporch until needed for cooking.

000_0650 (2).jpg

DH Harrison bags and bags full of onions two weeks ago. Probably 100 to 150 of them.

Some of the vloggers on YouTube are doing an “every bit counts” challenge to try to put something up every day in august.

there is no way I am going to preserve something every day - but I am trying to focus on the garden as much as I can.

today I picked some dry beans and set them out to fully “dry” from the humidity, snipped the few chamomile flowers, filled my dehydrator with lemon and licorice basil, weeded, and picked beans and tomatoes. And of course milk and eggs…

yesterday I picked beans, tomatoes, summer squash, cukes, peppers, and kohlrabi.
    What have you done today to make the world a better place?

Thread Information