Thread: This was a surprise (tiny housing)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

This was a surprise (tiny housing)

A few days ago I was online and I saw where some Home Depots are selling the basics to build a tiny house. I'm wondering if this is going to be the future of US housing? What do you think?

Rob

The #1 issue for the tiny house movement is finding locations that allow them. Period. Very few and far between. Heck, we cannot even get the ability to build smaller "normal" houses all around our city due to regulations.

I was totally taken in by the tiny house movement--I followed Tumbleweed Houses that Jay Schafer started, and read all the articles about Dee Wiliams. It was one of those fantasies I had that I would maybe someday live in a tiny house.

That was a decade or so ago, and now that I live in a small, but not tiny, house, I realize I could never live in a tiny house, and I wonder if the trend is going to continue or fizzle. I think Home Depot might have made a good move having DIY kits, though, if they're reasonably priced, because the tiny houses that were popular were/are extremely expensive.

I can see some uses for them. Granny pods (where hopefully your kids' live in an area where the zoning doesn't prohibit them), or homeless solutions, or backyard mancave/she sheds or guest cottages or poustinias. To sweetana's point, local zoning restrictions will vary widely.

I still love the idea of them, but then again, Walden is one of my top 5 favorite books ever, so I think I'm just hard-wired to be attracted to small spaces.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Would be great if my son could have one but I am sure it would never be allowed in my city.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Would be great if my son could have one but I am sure it would never be allowed in my city.
    A lot of places allow outbuildings that don't exceed 10x10 or 12x12.

In the islands, you can "store an ice shanty" on your property, so we have 3 "ice shanties"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Someone put a tiny house in the back of his big Victorian house in my neighborhood. The neighbors complained about it, but I don’t think anything was actually done because there’s no specific legislation against it. Auxiliary dwellings… the Building code is for permanent ones. The furor kinda died down and I think that tiny house is still there.

They are building tiny houses for “the homeless” in one section in my city. I think it’s a large feel good effort. These are not cheap, these are not efficient, I don’t know why they’re touted as THE ANSWER for Street people because there has not been in recent years anyway, an especial lack of houses. We are not San Francisco.

Yppej
    I could get a shed, but I was referring to something with an occupancy permit he could live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I could get a shed, but I was referring to something with an occupancy permit he could live in.
    Your son needs his own plumbing. Electricity is easy to string up, but the plumbing, not easy or cheap. I suppose he could use some sort of composting toilet but I don’t know how efficient they are and I don’t know how you would get winter get water especially in your harsh northern winters. If he would be open to hauling in his own water, a “shed “ might be the answer.

Yppej
    I assume it would be like an RV with a water tank and waste tank.

This NH company has tiny house trailers so you could take it where you need to in order to get the one tank filled and the other emptied:

https://www.granitestatetrailers.com...ouse-trailers/

It would require a truck to haul it though.

Here's the info page on the Tumbleweed Tiny House site. It covers plumbing.

https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/company/support/

And here is a great site if you're looking for any type of tiny house: Tiny House Listings.

Jeppy, there are affordable ones listed in your state.

Thread Information